Premed 101 Forums

College Admission Officers Use Facebook to Admit Students?!

md-equation

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/facebook-college-admissions_n_828487.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+huffingtonpost%2FeXpn+%28The+Huffington+Post+%7C+Full+News+Feed%29

I thought id share this article with you guys. What do you guys think about it? I personally think its unfair (Not that i have anything on my facebook), but someones social life is suppose to be different than their academic life. Decisions based on that to get a picture of their merits... I don't know it seems kinda iffy.

I dunno. It's public information. If you don't want something to be publically known about you, don't put it on a public venue, it's that simple. The moral of this story is one that's been reiterated over and over: people need to stop thinking of facebook as a private space. It isn't, it never has been, and it was never intended to be.

That said, I'd be concerned about the risk of someone being judged based on someone else's profile, someone with the same or a similar name. That would suck.

i dont know why people just don't use a fake name on fb, max their security settings and selectively add people who they are comfortable sharing themselves with, of course someone may always see a pic someone else posts even if you untag yourself but that's a lot less likely

I dunno. It's public information. If you don't want something to be publically known about you, don't put it on a public venue, it's that simple. The moral of this story is one that's been reiterated over and over: people need to stop thinking of facebook as a private space. It isn't, it never has been, and it was never intended to be.

That said, I'd be concerned about the risk of someone being judged based on someone else's profile, someone with the same or a similar name. That would suck.

Employers look at your Facebook when they're thinking of hiring you too. Once information about you or anything you're involved in goes up on the internet, it's free game for everyone, and contributes to your public image. You just have to be careful about what you post, and what others post about you. And also as it was previously mentioned, just be smart about your privacy settings. Fake names (or at least edited, like putting a . in the middle of your name) are always an option too 'cause you may not want future patients looking you up all the time.

I think that if someone decides to put their personal information, pictures etc on facebook, its public and I don't find there is anything wrong with employers or admissions officers using that information. Sure, there are security settings, use fake names and whatnot....I personally just chose to stay away from facebook all together but thats just me....never had an account on fb and will never make one.

I am just wondering.....what if someone else has the same name as you and all your friends add them mistakenly thinking that its you?

I guess if that happens then just try to make sure everyone knows it's not really you. If someone shares your name and they're like a criminal or something (hypothetically of course ;) ) and have a bunch of random bad stuff on Facebook that adcoms or employers can see, I'm not really sure what you could do there. I suppose if you've run into the problem then just tell these people that that profile's not yours.

If my friends would add someone with the same name as me thinking it's me without checking out who the person is prior to accepting the invite... i'd say I have pretty dumb friends lol. Although this wouldn't change anything in my case when it comes to adm officers, as only one of my friends is thinking of going to med school!

On another note, I don't use a fake name and don't really have anything to hide. But if you aren't protecting your tweets, foursquare account, FB account (max security options and not allow everyone to see everything on your accont s/a who all your "friends" are, don't allow others to search for you by email and don't use the same email u used for FB on your app!!) or any other social media account well in some way you're asking for people to see everything you do and in the end you'll have to deal with the consequences (just my opinion). When all is said and done aren't we accountable for our actions?

C

I am just wondering.....what if someone else has the same name as you and all your friends add them mistakenly thinking that its you?

I have nothing to hide on facebook. The only thing I might be worried about is someoene deciding to follow me or something.

I think I have ONE photo of myself drinking in Spain, and it's not exactly incriminating.

My ex-bf has a somewhat unusual name, and when you google it, it comes up with some dude in Louisiana who is convicted of murder. :eek:

When the time comes to decide whether I will add patients on FB or not, I'll deal with it then. I think there may be some positives to adding patients as friends (there was a WCBA that dealt with this). Again, I don't hide anything from people and in the future that will possibly include my patients, especially if I'm in a small town.

When the time comes to decide whether I will add patients on FB or not, I'll deal with it then. I think there may be some positives to adding patients as friends (there was a WCBA that dealt with this). Again, I don't hide anything from people and in the future that will possibly include my patients, especially if I'm in a small town.

Schoolteachers deal with this by creating a second 'teacher' account for their students, and renaming their primary account to something recognisable by their friends. That seems like a good middle ground to me for a larger circle, like a family doc in a city... you get the approachability, but don't have to worry about your private life being on display, even if it's not something you want to hide.

In a small town, chances are your patients are also your friends. In that kind of situation, there's no reason to treat them differently from your other friends, I'd think. We knew about our family doc's private life because he lived just down the road, facebook wouldn't have changed anything.

I'm glad that I hardly ever use FB and always just leave one pic for anyone (including friends to see) and its usually a very neutral pic (me smiling in front of something cool like some nerd).

I think people need to be careful in this day and age. I used to put some funny but unprofessional things on my FB so others could share a laugh (like a youtube vid) or quote. But I understand that at this point, everything needs to be super locked up. I also now limit my detailed dicussions to the private messages and just say things like "happy birthday" or "how are you?" or "I'm doing fine but school is keeping me busy" on walls, lol.

Even if your private security settings are set, there are ways to get around them and I am sure employers and colleges know how (or eventually will).

I would say that's the other end of the spectrum... it sounds a little overboard to me. Nobody is going to reject you from a job interview because you linked your friends to a Lonely Island video three years ago, or have photos of you making goofy faces with your girlfriend. The "problem" info would be, say, shots of your buttcrack taken when you're lying face down in a pool of your own vomit at an undergrad party, or thirty status updates about how hung over you are.

What? I'd never add a patient I treated. For the same reason I would never add a student I TA'd. Professional distance is needed! Theres your career, and theres your personal life. My philosophy is to never let the two mix, lest one invades and overtakes the other.

I know where that's coming from deeman- but there are some circumstances where it could be beneficial.

WCBA had a physician who dealt with teens with diabetes, and having access to them via texting and FB messaging was really important to keeping them on the right track. I think it has to be on a case-by-case basis. Because I expect to end up in a small community, I don't think there will be any way around it, that's all. For you, it'll be totaly different.

Regardless, by the time we're all done school there will be something new on the horizon anyways.

Archived