Premed 101 Forums

Summer Research Funding

Egg_McMuffin

Hey guys,

I am wondering if you guys know of any scholarships that gives out funding to do summer research. My PI would like to take me for the summer but she does not have enough funding to pay me in full (she would however, be willing to match whatever I can get). We looked into a list of scholarships that I can apply to but alot of them are quite specific pertaining to the topic of research, and for others my cGPA does not meet the cut-offs. Are there any general sources of funding that I should look into?

Thanks a bunch and much appreciated!

Hey guys,

I am wondering if you guys know of any scholarships that gives out funding to do summer research. My PI would like to take me for the summer but she does not have enough funding to pay me in full (she would however, be willing to match whatever I can get). We looked into a list of scholarships that I can apply to but alot of them are quite specific pertaining to the topic of research, and for others my cGPA does not meet the cut-offs. Are there any general sources of funding that I should look into?

Thanks a bunch and much appreciated!

The only one I know of is NSERC :( I did organic chem research during the summer two years ago. My professor didn't have funding either (and was not funded by NSERC) so I just volunteered my time. Maybe someone else on this forum can be of more help though. :)

If you are in Alberta, and would be doing health research, you can do AHFMR; however, the deadline for application for summer funding has already passed. The only other one I know of is NSERC and I think their deadline has passed as well. Also, as far as I know, most undergraduate summer funding opportunities are awarded almost entirely on GPA; maybe not cGPA, but at least in your most recent coursework.

NSERC, U of T has the UTEA (U of T Excellence Award --basically the same thing as NSERC, other universities probably have similar summer scholarships), there are specific fellowships depending on what type of research you're doing (eg. Ontario Genomics Institute, Banting Institute, Heart & Stroke Foundation, etc)

Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

Also, ask your university and check with your college. I know U of T gives out bursaries for summer studentship, around $2000 -3000. It's not a lot, but better than nothing :P

I googled 'UofT Bursaries' and was taken to this page

http://www.fnh.utoronto.ca/Current-Students/Financial-Aid/Bursaries-And-Scholarships.htm

which only consists of scholarships for Aboriginals. Would you happen to have a link to the bursary you are talking about?

and FYI I'm at UofT and my PI is a genetic epidemiology prof at Dalla Lana school of public health...so there aren't scholarships from her 'department' per say. She did give me a list of scholarships available from the UofT school of medicine page. I saw ones such as the Ontario Genomic Insititue one but my gpa is too low :( and for Heart and Stroke they actually do not offer it this year due to funding issues

^Did you try asking your college? For me, when I did my project with CSB, prof initially said he didn't have enough funding so I just volunteered. But in the end, he said there were left over funding so he ended up paying me 3K. Then, when I did a poster presentation with VIC, and told them about my research experience, they gave me another summer bursary. lol. :P

So I would suggest, if you can't find any scholarships, volunteer for now. Also, if you are from VIC, inbox me so I can give you specific details. Best of luck!

Oh yeah I did see the Vic one but I'm from Trin :(

thats a good suggestion though. I'll definitely ask around at Trin!

Instead of volunteering, I've propose to do an independent research project with her over the summer and she seems very supportive of the idea. In addition she's also offered a part time job for a few hrs a week to help with grant proposals and stuff...but I'd still be nice to get a scholarship of some sort tho :)

Archived