Premed 101 Forums

wgpa with second degree

Guys i have a question, I am doing a fifth year at UfT and I am about to graduate, I did a full course load all year but this year as im doing 4.5 this year i have to drop a course due to it affecting my GPA. I am planning to go to York for a second degree thatll take two years too complete. I just dont know if by not taking a full course load if fifth year how will ottawa consider my GPA am i still eligible to apply? will they skip my last year at UfT and look at my fourth year at Uft in conjuction with two years at york? help!!

ok so for anyone interested on in a situation like mine,

I called Uottawa med today, staff truly is wonderful! :D and she explained exactly what would happen. Ok so scenario 1

Since I am doing a fifth year at UfT and im doing 4.5 courses this year while every other year was 5.0 (a full course load) If i wanted to apply to ottawa with only this degree I would have to either take a .5 course in the summer or take it in another academic year (i.e special year at UfT)

Scenario 2:

I am going to York do a second degree, so once I am in my final year at York and have a full course load (she told me that they would accept 4 courses per year at York as full given that I had a first degree, so doesnt apply to people doing a first undergrad at york!) they will count my york years as the most recent years, and for my fifth year since it is 4.5 they will take a half credit from my fourth year and substitute it into my fifth year to make up the full course load. so its ok in this case to not have afull course load.

• 2 months later...

that is interesting..I have a similar case, I did 5 years of undergrad where my last 2 years are full course loads and my 3rd year is just 3.5/5 but my 2nd year is 4.5 courses and I did take summer courses in every year of my undergrad.

sounds like my 2nd year will be one of my 3 years if I apply there.

But not sure how they will calculate my gpa for my second year. will they use only 4.5 courses i did or 4.5 + the summer course (does it matter which summer term).

In case of oncoman's 2nd scenario I am wondering if 0.5 from the fourth year is solely to fill 5 per year req and then they just calculate gpa off 4.5 credits.

that is interesting..I have a similar case, I did 5 years of undergrad where my last 2 years are full course loads and my 3rd year is just 3.5/5 but my 2nd year is 4.5 courses and I did take summer courses in every year of my undergrad.

sounds like my 2nd year will be one of my 3 years if I apply there.

But not sure how they will calculate my gpa for my second year. will they use only 4.5 courses i did or 4.5 + the summer course (does it matter which summer term).

In case of oncoman's 2nd scenario I am wondering if 0.5 from the fourth year is solely to fill 5 per year req and then they just calculate gpa off 4.5 credits.

I believe they do count summer credit so it's 4.5 + summer

Archived