Premed 101 Forums

Sleep

jt23

This might just be me but I find it more difficult to get up if it's really warm under the sheets but freezing in my room. I've had an easier time persuading myself to get out of bed once I bought a heater and put it beside my bed :P

I also set many alarms every morning because the snooze on my phone is too long. I set the second one maybe 5 minutes after the first, then the next one is 3 minutes after, then 2 minutes after, and then I have a bunch that go off every minute. Yeah, I also have a really difficult time getting myself up in the morning

When I wake up, I go straight to the shower. Once I get out, with new clothes on, I feel so fresh I don't feel the bed's call anymore.

Another thing that helps is to get enough sleep when you don't have exams. I realized few years ago that I really need A LOT of sleep to be productive. Since then, I sleep at least 9hrs and I nap if I have time. Now I am super concentrated in class, and I have no more trouble doing those "short nights" during the exam period.

Hey guys, I realize it's kind of late and I might not get many responses, but I was wondering how to control my sleep cycle. For instance today I want to go to bed btwn 4 am to 5 am and wake up at 10:00 am. I realize its not healthy to get less than 8, but I am studying for an exam. The problem is I don't have a class until 12:30, so I subconsciously put myself back to bed it happens all the time. I just want to know how you guys convince yourself to get up and than not put yourself back to sleep for 10 mins, when you wake up. Thanks.

not healthy?

edit -> Lounge

I get up and do something immediately. Usually put on coffee, then pushups and stretches. When I say 'immediately' I mean 'the instant my alarm goes off'. I do not give myself time to snooze or I'll snooze for too long.

I've done that I actually have two alarms 1 from my laptop, which I plug into speakers so it scares me in the morning, the other one is my cell phone. I get up, but than somehow I always manage to put myself back to sleep :S

hahaha, hilarious, i can't believe someone else does this besides me.

trust me, it's all in the head man. You have to mentally notify yourself before important days to really wake up, and other days you just have to deal with snoozing.

+1 to "it's all in the head"

If you want to get up on time, you have to convince yourself before going to bed that you're going to get up on time.

Or find a gf/bf to help you get up. Mine has a hard time waking up sometimes, so as soon as I'm awake I do something to get his attention. :o

Sorry for TMI.

drink a big glass a water before you go to bed...

LOL!

I have the same problem as you but not as bad. 2 am and sleep till 11:30 am. It's all self control. I find turing on some music and reading through a lecture summary helps me wake up in the mornings.

I once put a plate of cold water at the base of the alarm, forcing me to step into the water if I tried to switch it off. Didn't work.

This might just be me but I find it more difficult to get up if it's really warm under the sheets but freezing in my room.

same problem.

I've timed a lamp to go on over my face 10 mins before the alarm. I've found that helps. It's really easy to time the lamp if you got one of Toronto Hydro's free power bars last year lol.

+1 to "it's all in the head"

If you want to get up on time, you have to convince yourself before going to bed that you're going to get up on time.

Or find a gf/bf to help you get up. Mine has a hard time waking up sometimes, so as soon as I'm awake I do something to get his attention. :o

Sorry for TMI.

Whenever I want my bf to wake up, I just threaten to spill a glass of water on him... or, scream as if there is a giant ass spider behind him. He is arachnophobic. Muahaha... I am evil... :D

For shifting my schedule back on track when it's all whacko, I force myself to get up early even though I'm really tired.. it kind of makes the day a sacrifice but it means I'll be tired enough to sleep at a regular bedtime again :)

As for getting up generally... I have two tiny but loud alarm clocks that I hide & set in my room in places I probably won't remember before I sleep. It forces me to do a little running around before I can shut them off and I tend to be awake after that :P.

i hook up my iphone to my bass guitar amp, and set an alarm to go off every 10 min for an hour, that way i have to go downstairs to turn it off, and if i go back to bed, it's not exactly something you can sleep through :)

For shifting my schedule back on track when it's all whacko, I force myself to get up early even though I'm really tired.. it kind of makes the day a sacrifice but it means I'll be tired enough to sleep at a regular bedtime again :)

As for getting up generally... I have two tiny but loud alarm clocks that I hide & set in my room in places I probably won't remember before I sleep. It forces me to do a little running around before I can shut them off and I tend to be awake after that :P.

Archived