Premed 101 Forums

Carms Match Results

Originally Posted by tooty

How did you guys do?

Edit: If you guys want, would you mind posting a rough breakdown of your Carms applications (electives, references, clerkship evals, etc.)? Also maybe what programs you applied to and how many interviewed? Could help out us out when we roll around.

Gen Surg (top choice)

Electives: general surgery (x2), gastroenterology, anesthesia, ICU

References: 3 GS

Hey all,

Congrats on matching!! I have recently been getting comments about being too keen. I had previously gotten comments on being too quite. What is the trick here? I am reserved by nature, so I understand how enthusiastic comments may seem not so authentic, but at the same time, how can I show interest and be genuinely reserved at he same time?

I know this is probably common sense, but I am at my wits end here...Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Hey all,

Congrats on matching!! I have recently been getting comments about being too keen. I had previously gotten comments on being too quite. What is the trick here? I am reserved by nature, so I understand how enthusiastic comments may seem not so authentic, but at the same time, how can I show interest and be genuinely reserved at he same time?

I know this is probably common sense, but I am at my wits end here...Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Probably shuold've started a new thread for this since it's not related to CaRMS match.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with being too keen. In fact, it makes you stand out in a good way. Having worked with several medical students, being keen will get you a good eval and serve you well no matter what you want to do. I see a lot of students who are slackers or shirk away from work (I'm on a really busy service), so the ones that are keen catch my eye. In fact, I was with a student who stayed till 7 pm on a friday (long after the other residents had left) to help out, and this stuck out so much in my mind that I personally sent a message to our program director and arranged for them to meet. This person has now successfully matched to our program in no small part because of his willingness to work harder than his peers.

Be careful though. There is a difference between being keen and being a know-it-all. Hope this helps.

I think that you need further clarification on what people mean when they tell you that you are too keen - ask them in what way? Without knowing details, I can only speculate that in trying to compensate, you may be trying to do/see things that students are not normally expected or encouraged to do, or at the wrong time.

As for being too quiet, you can try:

-improving your delivery (speak louder and clearer, with more confidence)

-answering questions posed to the group, even if not entirely sure (you'll probably be right more often than you think)

-asking relevant and thoughtful questions

-taking initiative, anticipating what needs to be done and volunteering to do it (if unsure, ask first how you can help)

Probably shuold've started a new thread for this since it's not related to CaRMS match.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with being too keen. In fact, it makes you stand out in a good way. Having worked with several medical students, being keen will get you a good eval and serve you well no matter what you want to do. I see a lot of students who are slackers or shirk away from work (I'm on a really busy service), so the ones that are keen catch my eye. In fact, I was with a student who stayed till 7 pm on a friday (long after the other residents had left) to help out, and this stuck out so much in my mind that I personally sent a message to our program director and arranged for them to meet. This person has now successfully matched to our program in no small part because of his willingness to work harder than his peers.

Be careful though. There is a difference between being keen and being a know-it-all. Hope this helps.

Really...there's a lot of services where staying 7 pm on a Friday would be expected and you can't get away from. Keen or not..

Thanks for the response everyone. I find it quite helpful. And sorry for diverting the thread, but since we are on the topic:

The resident who said I was too keen mentioned that the staff had said that I say I find stuff interesting a bit too often. I see his point. I am not the most calm, collected person on earth. I think it was staff preference as well. He was the zen type and probably found my energy too annoying for his liking. And I think I need to keep my amusement to myself at least half the time. It's a tough balance though.

Other than that, I stayed well past 7-8 pm regularly, and took lots of calls and did lots of post-call and did all the consults. The residents liked me, but this staff hasn't responded to my request for a ref letter yet. Bummer.

What I am frustrated with is the fact that all the extremely hard work could be trumpeted by a personality "mismatch" and personal judgement. Good example of what to expect in the whole "matching" process.

Yes, the subjectivity and randomness of CaRMS is stressful. It is truly a match in that if you enter a program, you will be working closely with those people for a few years, not just a few weeks. Almost everyone has a story where someone took a dislike to them for no apparent good reason.. but if you are a solid student, the overall theme of your evaluations should reflect that. If you aren't getting a good feeling about this reference request, I wouldn't push it. It's March, so you should have a few more rotations and opportunities for letters.

Thanks for the response everyone. I find it quite helpful. And sorry for diverting the thread, but since we are on the topic:

The resident who said I was too keen mentioned that the staff had said that I say I find stuff interesting a bit too often. I see his point. I am not the most calm, collected person on earth. I think it was staff preference as well. He was the zen type and probably found my energy too annoying for his liking. And I think I need to keep my amusement to myself at least half the time. It's a tough balance though.

Other than that, I stayed well past 7-8 pm regularly, and took lots of calls and did lots of post-call and did all the consults. The residents liked me, but this staff hasn't responded to my request for a ref letter yet. Bummer.

What I am frustrated with is the fact that all the extremely hard work could be trumpeted by a personality "mismatch" and personal judgement. Good example of what to expect in the whole "matching" process.

Some staff can be temperamental. You kind of have to decide how to act based on your impression of them. It's not your fault, btw, but is there another attending on your team that you could ask for a letter? He (honestly) sounds like he's not the best choice to use anyway. It's best to have glowing reference letters, as much as possible, for any competitive field.

Archived