Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS second interation

Hello all,

Congratulations to everyone who matched!

For those of us who didn't, could someone please shed some light on how the second iteration works? I know that you have to re-submit your application and all, but I'm just wondering if anybody who has been thru the second iteration can offer any advice.....things they wish they knew before starting this process.

Any help is welcome!

Thank you!

I'd like to know the same.....how are interviews conducted, and when is a typical timeframe to hear back from programs about interviews?

Also, are there any programs that require you to email them a request to view your application? Or email them directly to request an interview?

Here's how it works:

1. You find out the bad news and let it stew for a while.

2. A little while later, the 2nd iteration list comes out. From that you can select from what scraps are left. Sometimes the matched residents have left behind some choice cuts. Usually, its the bottom of the barrel that's left.

3. You ask your school for advice. They'll tell you to take anything you can get. It makes their final match lists look better.

4. You rewrite fake personal statements that don't blatantly say "I'm applying for this because there's nothing better left and I'm desperate"

5. You do another rank list.

6. You do phone interviews because everyone knows flying around the country AGAIN would be a pain.

7. You either finalize your rank list or withdraw do what Ian Wong did.

8. You either match, or don't.

Keep in mind that Ontario has a stipulation that states that any residents that 2nd round match cannot switch in PGY1. So you're stuck for at least a year. Other provinces may not have such a rule.

If you're dead set on one thing, or are unsure, and you can figure out a way to pay your debt in the meantime, I'd suggest writing USMLE step 1 and getting a 260 on it(you'll need it) and doing research related to your field of interest with big names. Then apply to both the USA and Canada next year. The success rate for people going through carms the second time around is dismal, so make sure to apply to the states too.

The success rate for people going through carms the second time around is dismal, so make sure to apply to the states too.

Is that because they now have a red flag in their app from being unmatched the year before or that they mostly have weak applications to begin with?

Since they didn't match the year before, they are regarded as second class applicants by some people. Not really fair, since everyone knows weird stuff happens during the match and not everyone who goes unmatched is weak.

This is true. I have overheard some program directors from other programs other than my own talking very derisively about second round applicants.

This is true. I have overheard some program directors from other programs other than my own talking very derisively about second round applicants.

That's not fair at all...however such is life. In any case, if you're a Cdn IMG chances are you'll be going thru for the second round, b/c you have a slim chance (unlike a Cdn grad) of getting matched in the first round simply b/c you are an IMG, regardless of your credentials.

Are there any IMGs out there who have been in this position and have successfully matched in the second round? If so, please help!

Thank you!

Archived