Premed 101 Forums

Summer research

Handsome88

I'm a graduate from UofT and now studying Medicine in Europe. It is hard to look for positions in person/call from here. So do you guys have links to websites of hospitals that provide research opportunities during the summer around Toronto area/GTA?

I know about Sick Kids hospital but their program is for 15 weeks (who has a summer vacation that long :confused: ). My time of is just over 2 months or ~10 weeks long (June-August).

Can I just e-mail random doctors listed under the department of my interest (for example Cardiology) and ask them if they or their colleagues have ongoing research I can help with? Or will that be too rude?

Thanks. :)

^I think emailing docs could work, but I think you really need to mass email them because a lot of docs won't read the message (since they do receive lots of emails on a daily basis). Also, try Princess Margaret, MARS, TGH(which has an excellent cardiology summer research program), Toronto Western, and north york general. They usually have summer studentships posted on their website but I'm not sure if the deadline has already passed. Hope that helps!

^I think emailing docs could work, but I think you really need to mass email them because a lot of docs won't read the message (since they do receive lots of emails on a daily basis). Also, try Princess Margaret, MARS, TGH(which has an excellent cardiology summer research program), Toronto Western, and north york general. They usually have summer studentships posted on their website but I'm not sure if the deadline has already passed. Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot :)

So do these hospitals have research positions listed on their websites and I just send the app/resume/cover letter? Do most require references/transcripts? Or should I go ahead and mass e-mail docs.

I hope they still take applications. Didn't know people applied so early!

Thanks a lot :)

So do these hospitals have research positions listed on their websites and I just send the app/resume/cover letter? Do most require references/transcripts? Or should I go ahead and mass e-mail docs.

I hope they still take applications. Didn't know people applied so early!

Sorry. I missed the most important part of your question. :P Yes, there's usually an online application where you answer a couple of questions and upload your resume and transcript. And yea, most require two or three reference letters. Good luck!

Try calling them. More time consuming but it would get you a response and it'd be obvious you're not spamming the department, which I'm sure students do.

If they don't answer, just keep trying or ask their receptionist when they're available.

Archived