Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS referees - thank you card or more?

Probably depends on the nature of your relationship with the letter writer.. if your association was short and less personal (2 week rotation), they might not expect a gift, while if they have supported your goals through the years, a thoughtful gift would likely be appreciated. Personally, I gave all my letter writers a token of appreciation because I felt truly grateful for their support (could not have made it through CaRMS without those letters, and that's a fact). For remote letter writers, I sent boxes of chocolates through the mail.

I think it is good etiquette to follow up with the people who have helped you.. I have heard referees complain about students who don't notify them of their match results. Hopefully you didn't tell them you were applying *only* to family medicine.. it's very common to apply to more than one field, and be satisfied with either. They will likely find out at some point anyway - better to tell them now than disappoint them even more by not following up with them - IMO.

What about if you didn't match? Do you still thank your referees? What if one of them backstabbed you?

I didn't contact a few of my referees because of our short term relationship (3 week elective periods). One of the referees I still regularly speak to - he's kind of a mentor and I did thank him personally. The other referee, another mentor of mine in the field I was interested in, I haven't spoken to since match day because I was too embarrassed - totally the wrong move.

Archived