Premed 101 Forums

How many times did you apply to medical school before being accepted?

How many times did you apply to medical school before being accepted?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How many times did you apply to medical school before being accepted?

• 5+

I'm really hoping that some medical students will participate in this poll. I've been rejected once already, and I was wondering, as the title indicates, how many times you (medical students) have applied to medical school before being accepted? If you could just indicate how many application cycles you participated in (not how many schools you applied to) that would be most helpful.

Thanks so much :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest copacetic

i think the average is 3 times in ontario. at one point a year or 2 back half the entering class at U of T had a masters degree or some other degree. there are just not enough spots, but if you really want it, keep on trying. medicine is a LIFELONG career of constant learning. If you really want it, keep on trying.

I would say the average medical student applies twice. It really depends on your own preparation, determination, and at what point you decided you wanted to go into medicine.

Someone who knew earlier and was determined to succeed in all years of university and on the MCAT and kept up their extracurriculars will probably only need one crack. Non-trads often have to go back to school to do prereqs, or students who don't take their first few years seriously might have to add on a 5th year or 2nd degree. It sucks, but it's a numbers game. And the closer you are to a 4.0 and 45T will have a pretty big effect on how many times you need to apply.

Some of the people I respect the most applied more than once. It says nothing about the end result.

I would say the average medical student applies twice. It really depends on your own preparation, determination, and at what point you decided you wanted to go into medicine.

Someone who knew earlier and was determined to succeed in all years of university and on the MCAT and kept up their extracurriculars will probably only need one crack. Non-trads often have to go back to school to do prereqs, or students who don't take their first few years seriously might have to add on a 5th year or 2nd degree. It sucks, but it's a numbers game. And the closer you are to a 4.0 and 45T will have a pretty big effect on how many times you need to apply.

Some of the people I respect the most applied more than once. It says nothing about the end result.

I'm not too bummed out about applying a second time :) Actually, I may likely end up applying more than twice. I don't think of it as a negative thing though. I'm only 22 and I have a feeling it may have been a bit too early for me to get in. Not the case for everyone, but I think I drove myself a little crazy last year and after being rejected, I've really learned to calm myself down and focus rather than stressing out uncontrollably about every little thing.

Since I'm a couple of years younger than the mean age of accepted applicants at UBC, I don't feel too discouraged :D I sort of feel like I've been driving myself too hard and now it's interesting to see what happens when I cool off. I think it's important to evaluate:

1. what went wrong
  2. what to improve
  3. stay driven - but also weigh out the pros and cons of a backup plan before deciding to apply again
  4. try to enjoy life - it's too harsh and too early to beat yourself up over these type of things. Stay positive :)

Either way, not really trying to make this a "how old where you when you get into medical school" thread. There was a debate about age and medical school in the UBC 10 yr rule under review thread. I'm just trying to gauge how many times successful applicants have applied, and it appears that most have gotten in on their first try (assuming everyone's being honest).

I'm not too bummed out about applying a second time :) Actually, I may likely end up applying more than twice. I don't think of it as a negative thing though. I'm only 22 and I have a feeling it may have been a bit too early for me to get in. Not the case for everyone, but I think I drove myself a little crazy last year and after being rejected, I've really learned to calm myself down and focus rather than stressing out uncontrollably about every little thing.

Since I'm a couple of years younger than the mean age of accepted applicants at UBC, I don't feel too discouraged :D I sort of feel like I've been driving myself too hard and now it's interesting to see what happens when I cool off. I think it's important to evaluate:

1. what went wrong
  2. what to improve
  3. stay driven - but also weigh out the pros and cons of a backup plan before deciding to apply again
  4. try to enjoy life - it's too harsh and too early to beat yourself up over these type of things. Stay positive :)

That is such a great attitude Cerena! I'm sure the time between now and when you start med will be well spent, and will help you tons in the long run. Good luck :)

It's funny, because at my university ( Sherbrooke ) 80% of people have their MD degree at 22 y.o.

The quebec schools are not representative of the reality of applying to med school in general in Canada. In Quebec, it's much easier to get accepted into med school from CEGEP based on much fewer applicants and an increased number of medical school seats reserved for these applicants.

The quebec schools are not representative of the reality of applying to med school in general in Canada. In Quebec, it's much easier to get accepted into med school from CEGEP based on much fewer applicants and an increased number of medical school seats reserved for these applicants.

Its MUUUUCHHH easier. The MedP program, you guys don't know how good you have it. And avg debt of $35k on graduation. :rolleyes:

I think people who got in after one try are more likely to answer the poll. :)

Also, the poll only samples the kinds of premeds that actually seek out, visit, and post on forums such like this.

But yes: keep applying if you don't get in.

You're pursuing your passion. Demonstrate that and persevere.

It's funny, because at my university ( Sherbrooke ) 80% of people have their MD degree at 22 y.o.

not that funny! :rolleyes:

the process is different...

Outside Quebec, the earlier you can get in is 22-23 yo...having to do 4 years of undergrad...

and yes, I think CEGEPers have it much easier...

Those in the university category are having a hard time though...the year I got in...60 offers were made to university candidates, out of about a 950 applicants...about 350 offers were made to CEGEPers out of about a thousand applicants. 6% acceptance rate compare to about 33%...

and yes...keep trying...but be mature enough to realise you may not be made for medicine...and it's better to realise it sooner than later...

I don't think that CEGEP students have it that easy. At least universities use letters, and GPA has nothing to do with your class average. This is not the case with CEGEP; students are constantly compared to other students with the R score (and those students have to be good otherwise you end up with a bad score). In other words, it is possible to have bad R scores even with stellar grades.

Let's not forget that it is not easy to be "unique" when you're 17-18 years old. Research is out of the question.

Fred: Most students know they want to become a physician. You don't need an undergrad for that. Therefore, most students want to get into medicine just after CEGEP. I think it is pretty obvious why there would be more offers to CEGEP students than any other category.

In Quebec, the GPA is not used by med schools, it's a CRU, akin the R score in CEGEP. Yes CEGEPers have it hard, I didn't mean to imply anything else.

CREA.tive: I know most people applying after an undergrad are eager to get in, so they don't refuse the offers. Also, USherbrooke, is often the last choice of CEGEPers, making them refuse offers (you can hold many acceptance at once). This is why there are more offers. It doesn't change the fact that it's harder to get in when your in the University category.

Archived