Premed 101 Forums

Current Year Marks

Can someone tell me what the position of different schools is on looking at your marks post acceptance? I mean, in terms of your 4th year of study?

What is each school's requirement, and it is cumulative for the last entire year (two semesters) or is it for each of the last two semesters?

I ask because my chronic illness is playing up again, and my last semester was great, but this semester has been a little more problematic because I've been quite ill. If I found myself in a bad position, I could certainly appeal and probably win, but I'm also interested to know what I need to achieve to keep my foot out of that bear trap, assuming I am privileged enough to get an acceptance somewhere.

It's probably not as bad as I think - I've gotten pretty good at coping and managing my illness - but I'd still feel safer if I knew.

University of Calgary:

Transcripts for courses taken during the year of application must be submitted and must show maintenance of academic performance. Applicants who do not have a degree (at the time of application) are required to maintain a GPA of 3.2 or greater

during the year of application (cumulative for that year). Failure to do so will result in revocation of any offer which may have

been made. This does not apply to applicants who already have a university degree at the time of application

From applicant manual

University of Alberta:

Acceptances are provisional; one of the conditions is that the official transcript for courses just completed shows maintenance of an overall average of 3.3/4.0 for 4-Yr Alberta, 3.5/4.0 for Non-Alberta and 3.7/4.0 for the 2/3-Year pool converted to match the University of Alberta 4.0 scale. Applicants currently registered in a university or college are required to forward final transcripts as soon as possible after final examinations are completed, no later than June 15th.

From admissions webpage.

U of T:

Students applying in the final year of a three- or four-year degree program must complete the degree requirements and provide proof of completion prior to the date of enrolment. Students applying in the third year of a four-year degree program must provide proof that they have completed the requirements of that year of their degree prior to the date of enrolment in the medical program.

From the admissions website. Apparently they don't care about your GPA as long as you finish.

I believe UBC's policy is something in the neighbourhood of a 5% drop in your overall GPA, but that's just what other students have indicated... nothing concrete on that.

I know why people worry about stuff like this, but when you say you're worried about a 3.6 (which some people apply and get accepted with) it just sounds funny.

I hope you feel better and don't worry. A 3.6 will be fine.

Good luck.

I couldn't find some of the Ontario schools. Anyway, I just like to know. There's always the chance that I could get sicker and totally bomb.

I hope you stay healthy and can power through!

While I don't suspect a large drop in my grades either, I still find it nice to know... Thanks for some of the info!

It's so true - that's why I said "right now" - ask me again next week and it will probably be different :P. I guess all the schools I applied to just have their own great points of excellence and they keep pointing them out to me. I guess it's hard to say until you see a school whether you'll like it. And talking to the medical students changes my mind a lot too, because they all seem so happy with their school. Also I'm just excited about the whole idea of medical school.

Doesn't anybody else change their mind all the time? :P

So I have no idea what I'll think on May 16th. Probably the decision will be made for me. If not, well, maybe once I've seen all the schools, my opinion will be more solid. I'll probably keep changing my mind until I've seen them all, and then maybe I'll be more clear on it.

It's so true - that's why I said "right now" - ask me again next week and it will probably be different :P. I guess all the schools I applied to just have their own great points of excellence and they keep pointing them out to me. I guess it's hard to say until you see a school whether you'll like it. And talking to the medical students changes my mind a lot too, because they all seem so happy with their school. Also I'm just excited about the whole idea of medical school.

Doesn't anybody else change their mind all the time? :P

So I have no idea what I'll think on May 16th. Probably the decision will be made for me. If not, well, maybe once I've seen all the schools, my opinion will be more solid. I'll probably keep changing my mind until I've seen them all, and then maybe I'll be more clear on it.

Going into interviews, I aimed to be open minded and go by feel of the school etc etc... because really I'd be happy to go anywhere. I also change my mind after every interview it seems -- sometimes up, sometimes down. Queens went from top three to bottom spot (as it stands right now), for example. Finding out what you don't like is as important as finding what you do...! :) Fingers crossed for having one acceptance, let alone options for me!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add to this thread: I'm only taking TWO courses right now and have completed my degree last year. Would my acceptance be conditional on the GPA of these two courses(provided that I pass them)?

Since I'm only taking two courses, my sessional GPA is probably going to look like crap(a < 3.0 sGPA could even be possible) given that I'm sure I will bomb one of my courses. From what Ellorie posted, it doesn't seem to matter? My cGPA will remain largely unaffected of course.

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

It'd be good if there's a firm statement on that somewhere. But I guess, logically, most schools don't consider part-time study GPAs pre-interview anyways, so should remain true for acceptance. Mcmaster is the only one that looks at everything, I perused their website but couldn't find anything about the grades during application year. So I guess as long as the cGPA remains >3.0(from old threads), it should be fine.:)

Correct me if anyone thinks I'm wrong here.

Thanks!

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

It'd be good if there's a firm statement on that somewhere. But I guess, logically, most schools don't consider part-time study GPAs pre-interview anyways, so should remain true for acceptance. Mcmaster is the only one that looks at everything, I perused their website but couldn't find anything about the grades during application year. So I guess as long as the cGPA remains >3.0(from old threads), it should be fine.:)

Correct me if anyone thinks I'm wrong here.

Thanks!

True if you have a good CASPer or MCAT VR score. Better to have great everything...but take risks if necessary.

Archived