Premed 101 Forums

Thomson Rivers Open

Hi All,

Has anyone taken any prerequisites at Thomson Rivers Open? Would distance ed Orgo and Bio from TRU be accepted?

Thanks!

If you go to:

http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Admission_Requirements.htm#Prereqs

It gives you a breakdown of all of the equivalent courses that are accepted for the major BC universities... TRU OL isn't listed, and the site indicates to check the BC Transfer Guide at:

http://www.bctransferguide.ca

It would appear that the Open Learning Biol 1311 & 1321 + 1351 (OL) are equivalent to UBC Biol 111, 121 and 140 as long as you take all 3 of the courses listed...

As for Orgo...

You'll have to follow the Chem 203/204 route to find the equivalent courses, which are: TRU-OL CHEM 2123 & TRU-OL CHEM 2223 & TRU-OL CHEM 2125 & TRU-OL CHEM 2225 = UBC CHEM 203 (4) & UBC CHEM 204 (4); TRU-OL CHEM 2123 & TRU-OL CHEM 2125 = UBC CHEM 2nd (4); TRU-OL CHEM 2223 & TRU-OL CHEM 2125 = UBC CHEM 2nd (4). No credit if taken alone.

So you have to take All of: Biol 1311, 1321 and 1351 + Chem 2123, 2223, 2125 and 2225 to get the equivalent courses. You'll want to verify with the school if those are acceptable, but if the UBC registrars office will accept them as equivalent the med school probably will too.

Good luck!

Thanks hking. I knew I could count on you :)

haha, well... you're welcome.

if only my obsessing over all things UBC Medicine would help me get in... or make the time pass by quicker.

on a related note- my Uncle-In Law got his PHD yesterday... I'm so proud of him!!! He's very smart and could have had it earlier in his career, but he was so focused on the clinical side of his work that it wasn't a priority for him.

I've looked at it and I think that thy will PROBABLY be OK, but UBC med has a tendency to change the acceptable courses from time to time.

So, I think you need to call the office to ask if they are OK, and then get it in an email that they have approved for you to take the course. There used to be a biochem course through athabasca that they would accept, for example, but then they stopped accepting it. They would, however, accept it in cases where they had a approved the course in the past and the applicant had it in writing that they had approved it for them.

Also, I did the courses through Athabasca for Organic chem and really liked them. It's a bit different through Athabasca since all their courses are designed for distance ed, and not revised from in-class courses, if you know what I mean. They seem to flow better in many ways.

I really think you need to call or email the admissions office.

And while you're talking to them you should tell them to give hking admission. Since you'll have them on the phone and all. ;)

I've looked at it and I think that thy will PROBABLY be OK, but UBC med has a tendency to change the acceptable courses from time to time.

So, I think you need to call the office to ask if they are OK, and then get it in an email that they have approved for you to take the course. There used to be a biochem course through athabasca that they would accept, for example, but then they stopped accepting it. They would, however, accept it in cases where they had a approved the course in the past and the applicant had it in writing that they had approved it for them.

Also, I did the courses through Athabasca for Organic chem and really liked them. It's a bit different through Athabasca since all their courses are designed for distance ed, and not revised from in-class courses, if you know what I mean. They seem to flow better in many ways.

I really think you need to call or email the admissions office.

And while you're talking to them you should tell them to give hking admission. Since you'll have them on the phone and all. ;)

Thanks Kyla!

I agree- contact the school... About the courses. Getting it directly from the source will make life easier. The courses I provided are what BC Transfer Guide indicates UBC will take as an equivalent, but the UBC Medicine is a different beast.

You can also mention me if you want. I included pm101 on my application as an EC so they should be able to figure it out from there...

Thanks for the info Kyla. I'll call UBC today and will post here what they tell me. hking - good idea to put pm101 as an EC. I wonder if they'll check out your posts?

I was joking!!!!!!!!!

hahaha, I don't think they'll check out my posts. If they did, I'd be worried that it wouldn't be a good thing to have my application associated with.

It is something to consider though... if a moderator were able to put this site down as an EC. They are leaders of this community, but I wonder if it would look a little pretentious or come across as a bad thing that you are a part of this community assuming you will be a doctor when you haven't even been admitted to med school... Tough call.

Either way, I didn't actually put it down on my application so if you mention hking they'll probably be like wtf? what's an hking? or they will let some guy in named henry king.

Which is not me.

I dunno.... you could spin it as peer tutoring ;) or just goodwill.

Okay, I called today and here's what Admission says:

TRU-OL BISC 120, 121, 125L and 126L are equivalent to UBC Biology 111, 121 and 140

TRU-OL CHEM 240, 241, 245L and 246L are equivalent to UBC CHEM 203 and 204

The TRU website however is a bit of a disaster. They've changed their numbering system from the one's listed above, to a four digit number. But, the bottom line is that you can do BIO and CHEM Requirements through TRU-OL as long as you're willing to go and do the on site lab requirements (1 week in length for each course).

Thanks for the help Kyla and hking!

Yep. TRU-OL BIOL 3130 and BIOL 3230 satisfy the biochem requirement. Check out this pdf on the UBC admissions page outlining the transfer credits from other Canadian universities for biochem.

http://www.med.ubc.ca/__shared/assets/Acceptable_Biochemistry_Courses_-_Canadian_Universities16588.pdf

They should do this for all the prereqs. I'm sure it would cut down on the inquiries :)

Another quick note about distance courses- they are typically designed to be applicable to other universities. That's who the clientele is, after all. HOWEVER, I know the old Ath course was acceptable and is not anymore, and the Ath ORGO first term has a lab associated (unlike a lot of canadian universities), etc.

I did my first term BIOL100-level through distance, and there was a "lab", but it involved plasticine "chromosomes and capillary tubes. I did genetics through correspondence, and we had online "labs" where we bred virtual flies, but as a result, since then I have taken just about every genetics course at UVic and never actually ran a single electrophoresis gel. I felt like it was a huge gap in my knowledge.

p.s.

You guys should listen to Henry, he has a lot of good advice.

• 1 year later...

Archived