Premed 101 Forums

Summer Options?

Hey so I only applied to one job opportunity this summer (Very bad idea), as I thought I had it for sure, and now I doubt I am going to get it. I am in my second year of undergrad and still have had no research or clinical experience to speak of! What do I do at this point? All of the research scholarship application deadlines are passed at this point. I have a good GPA (3.9+), but since I have no lab experience no one seems to want to hire me.

Any suggestions?

seems like there is an interesting story behind this... how did u get shafted like this?

Ha it's not too intersting. I applied to the RISE program sponsored by DAAD - basically a scholarship where you work for a PhD student in Germany. I defintely wanted to do this and didn't want to work anywhere else, since it would be amazing, and since the average GPA of accepted applicants was 3.6 and I had a 3.92, I thought I was set. It seems my lack of work experience has held me back alot. In hindsight I should've applied for an NSERC.

That's unfortunate :(

Try sending out e-mails to projects you're interested in and say you're willing to volunteer. It's late but some professors are still accepting volunteers. I just sent a bunch of e-mails out about a week and a half ago and I have a few interviews this coming week.

If not, there are always other things to do, outside of research too. Or, you can apply now for the fall of next year.

Good luck :)!

Ha it's not too intersting. I applied to the RISE program sponsored by DAAD - basically a scholarship where you work for a PhD student in Germany. I defintely wanted to do this and didn't want to work anywhere else, since it would be amazing, and since the average GPA of accepted applicants was 3.6 and I had a 3.92, I thought I was set. It seems my lack of work experience has held me back alot. In hindsight I should've applied for an NSERC.

Look at hospital website. They usually have research summer studentships as well. Though I think the deadline is usually mid march... Still worth a shot though.

What's a summer research course? Never heard of this.

At UofT, we have ROP299, and third and fourth year research courses and you can take them in the summer. Basically, you are assigned with an independent project under the supervision of a grad student/prof, and you get graded based on your performance in the lab (plus essay, poster, and presentation). I'm not sure if other universities offer this though...

I can't speak for all universties, but UofT has ROP courses throughout the summer where you basically do a little research project with a prof supervising for course credit. At the end, you do a poster presentation.

Different universities tend to have similiar things I think.. it might have a different name though.

What's a summer research course? Never heard of this.

Hahah, great minds think alike :rolleyes: ?

Edit: and, again LOL.

As an additional note, the summer ROP299 application deadline has passed. (this is for UofT)

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/current/undergraduate/course/rop/299/

^ The link, if you want additional information.

At UofT, we have ROP299, and third and fourth year research courses and you can take them in the summer. Basically, you are assigned with an independent project under the supervision of a grad student/prof, and you get graded based on your performance in the lab (plus essay, poster, and presentation). I'm not sure if other universities offer this though...

Hi there,

I'm not sure if you're in the GTA, but I thought I'd share this event anyway. :) I am writing on behalf of UofT's Health and Human Rights Conference committee. This two day event will be taking place on March 19 and 20 at Hart House at UofT.

On day one, you will have the opportunity to hear from distinguished experts including reps from the United Nations, Partners in Health, and the Hospital for Sick Children. On day two, you will have the chance to speak with reps from over 30 organizations within the GTA. You will learn about volunteer (local and international), internship, and employment opportunities that will definitely keep you busy over the summer! We also have some organizations that are involved with research, so it'd be great to check that out!

Tickets are on sale now and are ONLY $12(student)/$20(general)!! Please visit http://www.hhrights.ca/2011/register.html for more information or feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks and good luck!

Hi there,

I'm not sure if you're in the GTA, but I thought I'd share this event anyway. :) I am writing on behalf of UofT's Health and Human Rights Conference committee. This two day event will be taking place on March 19 and 20 at Hart House at UofT.

On day one, you will have the opportunity to hear from distinguished experts including reps from the United Nations, Partners in Health, and the Hospital for Sick Children. On day two, you will have the chance to speak with reps from over 30 organizations within the GTA. You will learn about volunteer (local and international), internship, and employment opportunities that will definitely keep you busy over the summer! We also have some organizations that are involved with research, so it'd be great to check that out!

Tickets are on sale now and are ONLY $12(student)/$20(general)!! Please visit http://www.hhrights.ca/2011/register.html for more information or feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks and good luck!

I went to many similar things and almost no one was interested in giving job positions to undergraduate students.

I am a first year student and that just worsens things.

Will this be similar?

Archived