Premed 101 Forums

2011 CDA Interview Questions

Canadian dental schools that conduct interviews in the Canadian Dental Association (CDA) format are given a list of 14 questions from the CDA. As far as I know, the same list is given to every school, but the questions can change from year to year. From this list of 14 questions, admissions departments choose 7 to ask you in the interview. These questions are one of two formats, situational (ie. what would you do in this situation) or pattern behavior descriptive (ie. describe an experience when...). Regardless of the format, each question is designed to assess particular characteristics associated with an ideal dentist so it is important to convey these in your answer when you can. There are 2 interviewers and each grades the candidate on a scale of 1-5 based on their response to the question. The best responses get 5 marks. The best score a candidate could theoretically get on a CDA interview is 70.

I've created this thread as a means to compile the list the questions being asked by the CDA this admission cycle (2011). If you've had your interview already (CDA format only), feel free to contribute by adding any questions you remember being asked.

Good luck everyone!

how do you know that it's only 14?

and aren't interview scores out of 35?

where are you getting this info

This info is from an article in the Journal of Dental Education, May 2007.

http://www.jdentaled.org/cgi/reprint/71/5/664

"Each school is sent a pool of fourteen questions, one SI and one PBDI question for each of the seven competencies, prior to the start of their admissions process. Each interview panel is free to choose either of the two questions designated for each competency." (see paragraph 1, page 667)

I must clarify, it also states each school does receive a slightly different set of 14 questions but the same 7 competencies are tested.

"Scores were summed to create a total interview score for each student with 70 being the maximum possible score." (see paragraph 2, page 669)

The maximum score is 70 because there are 2 interviewers.

Canadian dental schools that conduct interviews in the Canadian Dental Association (CDA) format are given a list of 14 questions from the CDA. As far as I know, the same list is given to every school, but the questions can change from year to year. From this list of 14 questions, admissions departments choose 7 to ask you in the interview. These questions are one of two formats, situational (ie. what would you do in this situation) or pattern behavior descriptive (ie. describe an experience when...). Regardless of the format, each question is designed to assess particular characteristics associated with an ideal dentist so it is important to convey these in your answer when you can. There are 2 interviewers and each grades the candidate on a scale of 1-5 based on their response to the question. The best responses get 5 marks. The best score a candidate could theoretically get on a CDA interview is 70.

I've created this thread as a means to compile the list the questions being asked by the CDA this admission cycle (2011). If you've had your interview already (CDA format only), feel free to contribute by adding any questions you remember being asked.

Good luck everyone!

IMO I think that everyone should not post their questions so everyone has the same odds on their interview, but that is just my opinion...

I have questions from my UofA interview this yr and can share those...However, I would want to swap your CDA questions from this yr if you have done a CDA interview this yr...pm me if you want to swap

bumping in case someones interested...im only interested in this years swap

Archived