Premed 101 Forums

Any problems with Macs?

fitz

Hey,

I'm looking at going into BioMed at UWO next year and I need a laptop. I was wondering if anyone has encountered issues with Macs, especially related to any software I would need in any of my courses that would be PC only.

Thanks

Hey,

I'm looking at going into BioMed at UWO next year and I need a laptop. I was wondering if anyone has encountered issues with Macs, especially related to any software I would need in any of my courses that would be PC only.

Thanks

The problem with Mac computers is that they are Macs; mostly everything is the problem with them.

This thread should help you in your decision, though:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49101

The problem with Mac computers is that they are Macs; mostly everything is the problem with them.

This is one of the worst and most biased comments I've read.

There is nothing wrong with macs or pcs. What's important is what YOU NEED.

Generalizing from my experience and what I see, macs are favourable to university students and cover all of their needs. Macs can even install windows along with OSX at once. So you'll never have a 'doesn't work with mac problem'.

However, macs are a little bit more pricey because of their design and whatever other reasons steve jobs has.

This is one of the worst and most biased comments I've read.

There is nothing wrong with macs or pcs. What's important is what YOU NEED.

Generalizing from my experience and what I see, macs are favourable to university students and cover all of their needs. Macs can even install windows along with OSX at once. So you'll never have a 'doesn't work with mac problem'.

However, macs are a little bit more pricey because of their design and whatever other reasons steve jobs has.

Maybe it is bias; but, as you said, it depends on need, and need depends on the university student. To an engineer, scientist or anyone who does any sort of modelling or complex analyses on their computer, Mac is about as useful as an 18J MCAT score. Therefore, it most certainly cannot give what one "needs." As far as software, compatibility between PC and Mac is horrid, regardless of which way you go. As you alluded to, the high price you pay for a Mac, if put towards a PC could get you WAY better features. I will end my posts on this thread now, because I could spend days discussing Mac vs. PC.

Haha, good post osteon.

Though I love Macs and all the other apple products for the look, design and feel, I continue buying my PCs. It is easier for me to get specialized software. However, in my classes now (big ones - 500+ people) if you sit in the front and look back, you'll see an orchid of apples. Macs tend to be the thing to get nowadays... and most people who arn't programmers or really tech savy do fine with Macs.

I go with PC for the following reasons:

- A hell lot cheaper! I can get 2 PCs for the price of 1 Mac - thus, I can afford to replace my laptop more frequently (and my lil bro steals my old one hehe) when need arises or technology changes drastically.

- I like windows OS better - I get much more control.

- Software compatibilities (applies more to engineers with their 3-D modeling software and etc. I tend to hear pre-meds and med students are quite happy with their macs)

- I don't like the Mac vs PC attack ad.

- Mac repair cost is crazy. One day, my friend ran home while its raining and his Mac was in his backpack. It never started again and repair cost was 800$.

But.... macs are so pretty! So it really depends on you.

Mine crashes a LOT, which is not a problem I ever had with my PC. There is nothing that great about it, honestly. If you have the money, go ahead and get a macbook to look cool, but if you don't, there is no point in going out of your way to get one.

I switched from hp to mac after I bought the hp for a year without much usage because the hp was just too dam n heavy. and the battery sucks.

mac is good if you want to use it a lot during undergrad because it's light, and it's got 10hr battery. There just isn't a comparable PC that offers the same light weight and long battery life (and also the sleek design and classy trackpad). PC gives you much better spec with the same amount of money, but it's an overkill imo if you are going into biomed and all you are going to be doing are searching up journals and typing up essays.

The best features of mac I found are:

-The garage band. Great for recording lecture (especially if you feel uncomfortable asking the prof for permission to record the lecture). The recording is clear even in a large 200+ people lecture hall, as long as the prof is using a microphone.

-Trackpad. Just go to an Applestore and try one. It's so much more convenient than the ones on PCs, especially when you are working on a paper and you have twenty journal articles open at the same time.

-Spotlight. Fast and easy search for any thing on the computer (way faster than window's search function). This comes in handy when you need to search for a journal article among hundreds (only if you have them named appropriately).

-The mac version pdf viewer. no need to pay extra for pdf pro. the pdf viewer on mac allow you to highlight, draw things, add comment (if you take notes with a a computer), etc on almost every pdf file.

some of the minor criticism i would give mac are :

-the office softwares load quite a bit slower comparing to a PC (but tolerable)

-compatibility issues (which isn't a problem really because I install windows with VMware fusion, which allow me to run windows on mac platform as a software window)

-expansive hardware (but if you get the educational discount, it's really not that bad. i got a mac pro and a free itouch for $1259. imo way better investment than that $1000 hp i got)

-need to buy a VGA adaptor for projector presentation (costed me $30)

If you are going into something like computer engineering, then PC would be much better. As a zoology major student, I find Mac to offer exactly what I need to go through undergrad. Honestly, I don't care about being cool and I don't think having a Mac can make anyone cool. Mac is just so much more practical. I used to hate Mac because it's so different. But once you get used to it, you'll love it.

"Spec"-wise, a Mac will never compare to a custom-built computer, or "PC" laptop.

The whole is greater than the parts can be considered when looking at Macs. Naturally, some people will get so caught up with specs, they miss the form factor, seamless integration of programs, the multitouch trackpad, screen quality (resolution isn't the only thing that matters...) etc.

I'm not a computer science dude, or an engineer, or anything like that. I'm a premed student, who spends a ton of time on technology/dealing with technology. I chose a Mac, and I doubt I'll be going back (10+ years on Windows before).

"Spec"-wise, a Mac will never compare to a custom-built computer, or "PC" laptop.

The whole is greater than the parts can be considered when looking at Macs. Naturally, some people will get so caught up with specs, they miss the form factor, seamless integration of programs, the multitouch trackpad, screen quality (resolution isn't the only thing that matters...) etc.

I'm not a computer science dude, or an engineer, or anything like that. I'm a premed student, who spends a ton of time on technology/dealing with technology. I chose a Mac, and I doubt I'll be going back (10+ years on Windows before).

You know where my opinion lies in this debate :)

Maybe it is bias; but, as you said, it depends on need, and need depends on the university student. To an engineer, scientist or anyone who does any sort of modelling or complex analyses on their computer, Mac is about as useful as an 18J MCAT score. Therefore, it most certainly cannot give what one "needs." As far as software, compatibility between PC and Mac is horrid, regardless of which way you go. As you alluded to, the high price you pay for a Mac, if put towards a PC could get you WAY better features. I will end my posts on this thread now, because I could spend days discussing Mac vs. PC.

*clap* bravo.

i never thought I'd say this to anyone, but stop being such a biased pc fanboy.

My 2 PCs comment wasn't bias. It's fact.

Everyone is biased on the Mac/PC debate. Sure, everyone has "tried both, but in the end I prefer____," but everyone has their own reasons for choosing one or the other, and it's those biased reasons that come out on this forum. So I'll say my bias for PC, you give your bias for Mac - but so far I haven't heard any on your side. It's just been "Mac rules," "PC stinks," etc etc. Give some reasons.

So I'll say my bias for PC, you give your bias for Mac - but so far I haven't heard any on your side. It's just been "Mac rules," "PC stinks," etc etc. Give some reasons.

lol, I haven't said anything of the sort. I replied 'there's no problem with pcs' to answer the OP's question. And from generally glancing around class and talking to people, I've found people are very satisfied with macs on average. Can't say anything about people in universities other than mine. And I have no interest in debating pc vs mac with you.

PCs are better for some people, Macs are better for others. Can't really say much more than that.

I have both a Macbook (15" MBP) and a PC. I love them both, for different reasons.

I use my Mac for everyday stuff - it's just a lot quicker and I find it's user interface and programs a lot more user-friendly. I also use it for things like Photoshop - Macs seem to handle intense graphics "better" for lack of a better term.

I use my PC for modeling and some gaming (yes, I'm a geek.:P) Although I know I can dual-boot my Macbook, I just haven't bothered. I have a PC, so I run the PC-native programs on my PC.

So I do agree with what others have said - if you are doing a lot of modeling or engineering stuff, a PC might be the best choice. If you are doing a lot of heavy graphics stuff, or movie or music editing, or if you are just using your computer for "everyday" stuff (including typical student stuff), then a Mac might be the best choice.

If I could only have one computer, it would be my Mac. As I said, I just find the OS and the other pieces of software a lot more user-friendly than the PC.

yeah....13's tend to do that....

that's why I'm a 15' :)

You have no such problems with a 15'? I just find that 13' is the perfect size, easier to carry around.

I'm in engineering and I went ahead and bought a Mac. I was thinking of having boot camp install Windows 7 (if I decide to keep it), anyone ever had problems with OS X and Windows together?

You have no such problems with a 15'? I just find that 13' is the perfect size, easier to carry around.

I'm in engineering and I went ahead and bought a Mac. I was thinking of having boot camp install Windows 7 (if I decide to keep it), anyone ever had problems with OS X and Windows together?

I didn't use boot camp for Windows on Mac. I used VMware fusion which opens up Windows as a software while running on Mac OS platform. This creates a bit lag, but I only use Windows on Mac every once in a while for certain softwares that Mac does not support. I do most of PC stuff on my PC desktop.

I think he meant he IS a 15' macbook, not HAS a 15' macbook.

Also, if you're going to use windows a lot or frequently, then do bootcamp I suppose.

But if you're not going to use it much, try VMware like someone mentioned.

Using w macbook for my 4th year now and I'll be switching to PC.

1) Macs not slowing down or crashing is BS

2) I should be able to install windows via bootcamp (to have some apps work) but in reality I can't, errors popping up. Clean install of snow leopard didn't help.

3) cost more, less powerful

4) no games.

The fact I can't put any good games on my mac is one of the reasons I'll be sticking with it. One good game has the potential to completely destroy my productivity. I would definitely lose entire study weekends, weekends in which I could learn things that might one day save someone's life. So, I don't buy PCs because people would die. That, and they are shiny.

Archived