Premed 101 Forums

Any problems with Macs?

fitz

The fact I can't put any good games on my mac is one of the reasons I'll be sticking with it. One good game has the potential to completely destroy my productivity. I would definitely lose entire study weekends, weekends in which I could learn things that might one day save someone's life. So, I don't buy PCs because people would die. That, and they are shiny.

Your weekends sound like a lot of fun.

EDIT: As this comes across as an anti-Apple manifesto, I should probably preface this by saying I do own a 15" Mac book and I do get use out of it. I just can't stand Steve Jobs and his legion of fanboys. It's just a ****ing enlarged iPhone, Steve... Stop presenting it like it's going achieve consciousness and cure cance. And by the way, *******, turtle-necks have been out of style for years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a CS major, all I can really say is that it comes down to personal preference (assuming you're not involved in software development).

For regular day-to-day use, I'd probably suggest a PC with Windows 7 if only for the reason that anything you can do with Mac you can also do with a PC. The converse isn't necessarily true, though. When you do hardware cost analysis, PCs are also MUCH cheaper (I'm talking like a 1/3 of the cost); even though Apple's strict hardware-control means their software runs faster than it would on a comparable PC, it still doesn't justify the massive price inflation.

Also, if you're a hardware junkie like me, Macs in no way offer the level of customization you can get by building your own PC (my desktop PC cost a little over a grand; it's specs blow any current Mac out of the water and it's also about $3000 cheaper than any comparable Dell build, but that's another discussion).

Mac's are simple and easy to use. Less user control means cleaner user interfaces and less bugs. It's as simple as that. If that's what you want, go for it.

Pet-peeve: "I'm a creative person, so I bought a Mac..." I hear that so often... One of Apple's biggest accomplishments is convincing people their software is fun and easy-to-use. The latter is definetly true, but it comes at the cost of less power. In terms of photo and video editing, this couldn't be more true. You see, they basically have a bunch of preset design choices, professional looking granted, but you can't break from that mould. So yes, Grandma and your five year-old cousin can make a sepia-toned movie with a title sequence, multiple cuts, and a sound track. The pros, the real creative people, actually pay thousands of dollars for third party software suites (check out the Avid Media software suites... Yeah, that's the actual price). Apple actually does have some good first party software but none of it comes free with the machine like they pretend. So, no to rebuke you, you didn't buy a Mac because you think you're creative. You bought it because it looks purty and it has clever ad campaigns aimed at luddites like you.

The fact I can't put any good games on my mac is one of the reasons I'll be sticking with it. One good game has the potential to completely destroy my productivity. I would definitely lose entire study weekends, weekends in which I could learn things that might one day save someone's life. So, I don't buy PCs because people would die. That, and they are shiny.

You can put games on a Mac using boot camp or one of those other programs (that I could never get working), but you just can't get the same hardware as on a PC so a lot of them won't run as well. Also I'm a fan of Blizzard games and they do make them compatible with Macs.

Mac pricing has always been one of the major deterrents from me picking one up. That and I like the greater control I get with a PC.

Lots of physicians and med students love their Macs though. I think a large part of it is most of them just want to surf the web and check email. They aren't really computer people so they don't care about changing OS settings or installing third party software.

Archived