Premed 101 Forums

Which is the most difficult MCAT preparation book?

jordanharkless

It's a bad idea since the MCAT doesn't have "hard" problems. Just basic science that's thrown at you in strange scenarios. Better to learn how to take the test, rather than learning all the nuances of "hard" problems-->especially since it's very unlikely to have the same "hard" problems on your actual MCAT.

I recommend EK for learning how to take the test. TPR/Kaplan coupled with EK if you don't have much of a science background.

I tried one by Kaplan once (Kaplan 45, I think), and thought it sucked. In general, I don't think getting a claimed "hard" book gives you anything beneficial. The reason is that those types of questions will not be found on the actual MCAT, so there's no sense practicing, and wasting time on questions that aren't representative. In my opinion, put your money towards more AAMC, or other full length practice exams.

I tried one by Kaplan once (Kaplan 45, I think), and thought it sucked. In general, I don't think getting a claimed "hard" book gives you anything beneficial. The reason is that those types of questions will not be found on the actual MCAT, so there's no sense practicing, and wasting time on questions that aren't representative. In my opinion, put your money towards more AAMC, or other full length practice exams.

I think there's a Princeton 45 as well, though I've never actually used or read it.

I have ordered it though, we'll have to see :(

Looking back on the MCAT after having done some basic science it actually surprises me how simple the questions were. Its not about difficulty so much as it is about having a sense of the "big picture" and being confident enough to answer the questions in a limited time period. You do have to think quickly. You do not have to master the sciences. EK was pretty awesome for prep, but even its end of chapter questions could be construed as not representative of the real MCAT (too hard). Not sure about the 1001 series, but I've heard its not as difficult and makes great practice.

Looking back on the MCAT after having done some basic science it actually surprises me how simple the questions were. Its not about difficulty so much as it is about having a sense of the "big picture" and being confident enough to answer the questions in a limited time period. You do have to think quickly. You do not have to master the sciences. EK was pretty awesome for prep, but even its end of chapter questions could be construed as not representative of the real MCAT (too hard). Not sure about the 1001 series, but I've heard its not as difficult and makes great practice.

Kaiser is absolutely right...I too have found that the EK end passage questions are too hard. However, they do state in their opening section that the questions are supposed to be harder....they think that if you can master these questions, then MCAT should be no sweat.

It's a bad idea since the MCAT doesn't have "hard" problems. Just basic science that's thrown at you in strange scenarios. Better to learn how to take the test, rather than learning all the nuances of "hard" problems-->especially since it's very unlikely to have the same "hard" problems on your actual MCAT.

I recommend EK for learning how to take the test. TPR/Kaplan coupled with EK if you don't have much of a science background.

I agree.

I'd focus less on "hard" problems and just do as many problems as you can, especially full length tests.

Archived