Premed 101 Forums

Can you do Clerkship at Regional hospitals if you go to the Hamilton campus?

Trying to weigh my options for when i make my choice of campus preference. I really like the idea of doing clerkship in a non-learner-saturated hospital, but I don't like the idea of commuting during my first year to the main campus, if I go to the regional campuses.

Could any mac students comment on whether this is possible?

Thx

If you're at the Hamilton campus there are definitely opportunities to do clerkship rotations in outlying, less learner-saturated areas. In fact, a certain number of clerks must do this as the Hamilton core can't accommodate that many students for certain rotations.

They may not necessarily be at either of the satellite locations but they are certainly out of Hamilton. For some examples, my friends or I have done various rotations (Ob/Gyn, Psych, Emerg, Family) in places like Burlington, Brantford, Guelph, Fergus, Welland, Oakville, etc etc.

Also, just to clarify - most regional campus students don't end up commuting during MF1 - they just find somewhere to live in Hamilton for the first 3 months and then move to their regional campuses in December. Of course that's up to you.

For clerkship, there is a lot of opportunity to do certain core rotations in rural areas, but some of the cores (OB/Gyn, Internal, some Surgical cores, etc) are strictly in Hamilton for Hamilton students and in the regional campuses for regional students.

Archived