Premed 101 Forums

Decided to go for dentistry!=)... now what =(

I am graduating from McMaster at the end of summer (taking two summer courses) with a BSc. in Life scienes. I went into the program without a clear career direction and completely unmotivated (excited to go but no motivation to excel-no end goal in mind).

My first year GPA: lol embarrassed: 1.7 :o (first term B- avg, second term was what killed me)

My second year GPA: 2.00

My current year (current GPA of half term): 3.3

As you can see I blew all chances of going into porfessional schools right off the bat. I have been getting better and 3/5 courses this current term I have gotten A-, I know I still have not pushed myself 100 percent and that is mainly because I have been planning to do a second degree for a while now.

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to decide if I should go into Health studies at western (if they accept me, is it likely?)

or perhaps nursing? or perhaps psychology at western?

I really don't know what other second degree programs I could go into for a chance to get a new cGPA high enough for dentistry. I called Western and they told me first I have to apply through OUAC, so I will do that now but I don't know what other programs are good... I dont want to transfer many courses obviously because of my horrible first year.

I want to get into dentistry into western but since they now changed their admission and require 3 years of university, I guess it does not matter.

My second question is how to go about pre-dental required courses. I have taken 1 year of bio, one year of chemistry, more than one course in biochemistry (but not in same year), I have taken two philosophy courses. My question is will those pre-required courses be incorporated into the GPA calculation once I finish the second degree? How do they asses those? What if (small if) my makrs arent the greatest in those courses (first year) ,

How have you gone through applying to a second degree?

did you wait to graduate witha 3 year BSc. then applied (how), or did you apply during your first degree...?

[EDIT: I understand that if I choose to transfer courses from my old degree into the new one then those marks will used in the OMSAS calculation. Furthermore I do not want to choose a degree which has too much, or rather has the least overlap with the material I have studied, but not so much that it turns out to be like business or an arts or history.] Also I will probably have to take more predental courses in my second degree but thats not a concern as long as I have not taken them in the first degree. I know it is useless to re do the predental courses I have already seen like a lot of biologies and first year chem and intro orgo. (I have not taken an orgo lab course). Also I have not taken one full year of physics. Do they pay a lot of attention at first year courses which also happen to be the majority of my predental?]

I think you definitely need to do a second degree, ESPECIALLY if you want to do dentistry. It's gotten more competitive over the years. good grades for your second degree can show schools that you can handle their curriculum. I would do a degree that you find interest in (or even a backup professional degree? physiotherapy? nursing?) so you can do well in it (motivation!!). and in case dentistry doesn't work out. What about the PA program at McMaster? I'm not too familiar with it but the concept of it sounds interesting and I assume you would get a lot of healthcare exposure which can be beneficial in your dentistry career?. good luck :)

You're in a pretty tough situation and I don't understand why you're being so picky. If you retake courses you've done before then you can do better in them because you know the material (or not). How did you manage to get a D- average on your second semester of your first year? Why is it you want to get into dentistry? Because it's easier than med?? It isn't really that much.. Honestly, if motivation is an issue and you haven't got the wakeup call yet, you're in trouble.

Thanks for the replies, but mostly I think the one about the nursing was the one that kind of steered in the way I was thinking..

To the first reply, yes I was keeping that in mind, I was thinking nursing, or physiotherapy, I think those two would be great, except I have looked at the application deadlines and they have seemed to have passed in Feb 1st.

As for the PA program at Mac, are you referring to the one called Physician's Assistant? I looked over it and looks a bit interesting but apparently it is a 2 year program which I don't think I would be satisfied with.

However I was looking into the bachelor of technology, specifically, the biotechnology specialization would be wicked, I mean I would actually love that because one, I love technology and 2, I love biology. I guess im still unsure and now have even more options. Oh boy.

For the picky situation, Im being pickly because if it is for dental application, I can't choose simialr courses , the reason is beacuse they will realize I took the same courses and therefore not count them as a new course and instead include the old bad mark from mac, right? On top of that they wont consider that year as a full year because they drop that course.

I didn't choose dentistry because it is easier than med because 1) its NOT easier than med and 2) I have talked with nearby professionals including dentists and counsels and thought long enough that I know now just recently that I would in fact love that career. Its more than just getting perfect grades.

Motivation is not the problem lol, you dont understand, no matter how well I do in my third year I still will not have the high enough cGPA, that is why I DECIDED to do a second degree in something that A) serves as a back up plan and B) serves as a second (or rather first) shot at getting into dental schools.

My first semester I got a B- in every course, inlcuding first term bio, phys, chem, philos, and psych. Second term I pretty much bombed it because I didnt care, I didnt do homework, review , study, all the obvious mistakes that one makes when I was a first year undergrad, **** happens but im not gona cry about it.

Anyways I will keep finding information about how dental schools work for second degree as I will be writing dental schools specific questions hopefully they will respond. Just as a sidenote my other plan is to go to my native country, do five years of dentistry and graduate with a non-accredited DDS and then come back to canada and do 2 years of dental school and get lsicned, so its a big choice.

It's good that you found out about premed101 and you are seriously planning what you are going to do with your life.

However, keep in mind that dentristy's GPA is as high as med schools. U of A for example, the AVERAGE GPA is 3.87 or something (close to 3.9) and U of T's like 3.8~3.9 range

I guess you should invest the next ~2-3 years bringing those GPAs up closer to 4.0 and see what happens. Good luck!

Yea, I know I need at least an A- in every course for a minimum, but if I really want a shot at getting in Im looking at an A in every course which would give me a 3.9 GPA

I think I might go for nursing or for bachelor of biotechnology, and I know I will be 100 percent commited,

Is it still possible to do predental courses in the second degree though If I dont have them in the first? and do dental/ medical schools just do a checkmark for the predental courses or do they also weight out the marks in those? is it justa completion point?

Yea, I know I need at least an A- in every course for a minimum, but if I really want a shot at getting in Im looking at an A in every course which would give me a 3.9 GPA

I think I might go for nursing or for bachelor of biotechnology, and I know I will be 100 percent commited,

Is it still possible to do predental courses in the second degree though If I dont have them in the first? and do dental/ medical schools just do a checkmark for the predental courses or do they also weight out the marks in those? is it justa completion point?

What is it about dentistry that makes you want to be a dentist? Nursing, physiotherapy and a degree in biotechnology are totally different fields compared to dentistry. If your are discouraged from pursuing dentistry because of your GPA, why don't you try dental hygiene. Dental hygiene is still a very rewarding profession and you get to work in a very similar environment. My wife originally wanted to be a dentist; however, like myself, she didnt have th highest GPA (~3.4). She went in to dental hygiene instead and really enjoys it. She has a BSc which will allow her to apply to dentistry in the future. If you desire to ultimately graduate from a professional program and you feel as if dental hygiene won't fulfill your educational needs, then I would definently try and pull your GPA up and have a definitive end goal in sight. If you don't have any goals, you don't have anything to really strive for.

Edit: oops! Best of luck with the second degree :)

Yes, I know physiotherapy and wheatever are totall different fields, is there such a thing as a totally related field? The closest thing is porbbaly a program in the life sciences, however, it is not required, the schools will take any degree as long as you have the adequate cGPA.

I didnt really ask for motivation or for advice, I know what I want to do so I am pursuing a path and will have to figure out the excact details as I get more info. The end goal is to become a dentists, unlike most canadians and most people, I did not have that end goal when I began my university studies as well as in my second year. NOW, I do...

And yeah I know schools will of course look at all my university studies, however, to calculate their GPA they will use the most recent undergraduate degree. NOBODY has still answered my question about the prerequisite courses...

The main problem Im begining to see now is that I probably would not have the minimum required prerequisite GPA (pre-required courses), I will contact the dental schools for their advice, if I cant do anything about it because I didnt know what I wanted to do and got lazy in first year, then screw it Il go to south america get my dental degree comeback here and start world domination hahaha,

University of Toronto, Faculty of Dentistry, Admissions Office

Admissions Brochure for 2011 Entry

http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/DDSLit2011.pdf'>http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/DDSLit2011.pdf

on the top of the 5th page, it states,

APPLICANTS WHO HAVE COMPLETED MORE THAN ONE UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE

The Faculty of Dentistry will only consider the most recent undergraduate program of study for all applicants who have completed more than one undergraduate university degree. As well, the worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry, and (B) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's most recently completed year of study.

I have yet to see any prerequisite GPA requirements on http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry though.

Well thanks for the discouragement guys, lol, "impossible"...

I wrote to western and they wrote me specifically they take the average of the new undergraduate and that calculation determines the rank offer/waitlist. The prereq's must be done but they are seperate from the competitive aspect they said. So I guess it is possible of I get a 3.9GPA in a new degree and if I fulfill the requirements. But, I decided to go to South america and go straight into dentistry. I have done this because my dentist did this and he advised me. Also, I am choosing a specific university which many UoT profesors and liscenced dentists are currently working and have passed the exams and qualifications. Plus I speak the native toungue.

EDIT:

also, I know with perseverance I could get in once I begin the new programs and have 100 percent commitment. But I dont want to take the chance of well, possibly wasting like 3-4 years. I could just get into dentistry now and start next septermber and in 5 years boom come here and pass. plus 2 years. Which in the end is the same time if I decide for a second degree.. 2-3 years UG plys 4 years dental, =7. 5 years dentistry plus 2 years university qualification. The good thing is that I can start studying fo those qualifying exams now since my dentist wil give me the books I have to study. So I could begin working when I am about 27, which is good. There is even a possibility of working at 25 if I get qualified by the NDEB right after I get here. Seems like a escape route but hey, If I love the profession my only wish is to go into it as soon as I can.

• 2 weeks later...
I could just get into dentistry now and start next septermber and in 5 years boom come here and pass. plus 2 years.

what if in 5 years BANG you fail the NDEB EE exam and cannot get into the 2 year program.

what's ur alternative plan?

The good thing is that I can start studying fo those qualifying exams now since my dentist wil give me the books I have to study.

i really don't think studying for it now has any purpose or be useful in anyway. You haven't even started day 1 of ur dental school and u want to pre-study for the qualifying exam in 6 years time?

plus, there's also the chnace that the rule will change again in 5 years (after being changed a bit over one year ago)

Archived