Premed 101 Forums

Why Dentistry over Medicine?

Hi, I do realize that two professions are very different but usually, a science undergrad hopeful will usually want to either go into dentistry or medicine.

I'm just curious, why did you choose dentistry? What aspect of the job appealed to you?

I'm really lost in which career path I want to go into and to be honest, I don't know what aspect of dentistry other than its lifestyle, high paying salary would appeal as a good career choice. I havn't actually had the opportunity to shadow a dentist or volunteer at a dental clinic so I do not know anything about what the profession is like.

Hi, I do realize that two professions are very different but usually, a science undergrad hopeful will usually want to either go into dentistry or medicine.

I'm just curious, why did you choose dentistry? What aspect of the job appealed to you?

I'm really lost in which career path I want to go into and to be honest, I don't know what aspect of dentistry other than its lifestyle, high paying salary would appeal as a good career choice. I havn't actually had the opportunity to shadow a dentist or volunteer at a dental clinic so I do not know anything about what the profession is like.

For me... It was lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle... I was super excited to be a doctor when I was younger, however my mom was a nurse, so I had easy access to doctors. I couldn't get my head around the time required for internships, and hospital hours in general. I wanted to be able to have a family while I was still young... My g/f at the time (currently my wife) had a big part to play in my descision. I began working at a dentist's office from the beginning of 3rd year until a couple months after grad. The time I spent there confirmed my descision to become a dentist. I realized that by becoming a dentist, I would still get to do things that a physician does, just specialized for the head. You get to carry out surgeries all the time! You get to work with your hands, instead of using them to write prescriptions for people with the sniffles... If I were you, I would definately try to start making some connections in both the med and dent world. You might find you're not even comfortable lookin in someone's mouth all day. Hell, I was offered a partnership with the office I volunteered/worked at after I got my acceptance letter. Getting involved was probably the best thing I could have done.

Archived