Premed 101 Forums

How hard is it for a practising Canadian physician to move to the US

To practice medicine in the US you must obtain licensure and this is an issue at the state level, who all vary in their requirements. Some accept your Canadian board exams (MCCQE I and II) while others require you to write all 3 steps of the US licensing exams. All states require at least 1 rotating internship year / post-graduate year of training.

Getting board certified is a specialty-dependent issue that I don't know much about. For Family Medicine you can get certified in the US by completing an extra year of residency or by writing the American board exam. I think you have to be already licensed in the US and practicing under a general license though.

• 7 months later...

Just to update on this for interests sake.

Most States recognize Canadian licenses as equivalent to that of US board licenses and will allow them to practise.

However, the real hurdle is receiving the H1B visa from the Federal government so that you can work in US.

The stupid thing is that the US federal government won't recognize Canadian licenses (LCME) and require either the NBME, USMLEs, or FLEX.

Just to update on this for interests sake.

Most States recognize Canadian licenses as equivalent to that of US board licenses and will allow them to practise.

However, the real hurdle is receiving the H1B visa from the Federal government so that you can work in US.

The stupid thing is that the US federal government won't recognize Canadian licenses (LCME) and require either the NBME, USMLEs, or FLEX.

Hmm...so you are saying even if the state medical board accepts LMCC certification, the government won't give a visa to anyone without USMLEs?

Hmm...so you are saying even if the state medical board accepts LMCC certification, the government won't give a visa to anyone without USMLEs?
Exactly. In addition, if you're planning to work for an organisation or hospital the institution has to demonstrate that they have tried to fill the position with an American graduate first or you have to work in a physician shortage area for a number of years before being able to get an H1-B. Even then that visa expires after 3 years, but you can get it extended to 6 years. Generally people who are working in the US under an H1-B also seek US permanent residency status at the same time.

Exactly. In addition, if you're planning to work for an organisation or hospital the institution has to demonstrate that they have tried to fill the position with an American graduate first or you have to work in a physician shortage area for a number of years before being able to get an H1-B. Even then that visa expires after 3 years, but you can get it extended to 6 years. Generally people who are working in the US under an H1-B also seek US permanent residency status at the same time.

Wow, okay. That actually really changes things for my fiancee and I. Thanks for the heads up.

Archived