Premed 101 Forums

Electives for next year at Yorku

DaveT

A good, easy social science is Health and Equity. I took it last summer and got an A+. It's two short essays (5-6 pgs each), two exams (multiple choice, short ans, 1 short essay which is marked easy), and participation. 25% of the class got an A.

Oh, and unless you are in the science program, you only need to take a sosc OR a modr. modr classes are more writing-intensive IMO.

Oh wow very nice.. and I am in science so I have to take both. Who was your proff

• 1 month later...

I am taking it right now, and I have to tell you that it's annoying. The TAs don't mark the essays that easily, and I hate learning all of the material for the exam, and hardly use any of the material i learned. We are basically asked to pick from 3 essay topics on the test and each of the 3 are very minute topics and have hardly anything to do with any of the chapters or the material learned in class..

Isn't all courses at York bird? I had friends who went in to York with a 75 high school averages and started to get 90s at York. Their study skills definitely did not change.

I think you lost all your credibility when you said

"Definitely choose UofT life sciences if you are a med hopeful."

I don't get why everyone thinks york is super easy..it's not..absolutely not! biomedical or bio honours is not an easy program and I don't get why people say "if you can hold a fork, you can go to york" :|

I'm taking Chem2020 (organic chem) at york this summer and we just finished our first test. I was would say 25% of the students are from mac and 25% from Uoft/Queens/UWO and 50% from york. My friend from Mac got 58% and while all the Mac kids who sat near the front barely passed as I saw their marks from where I was sitting. (class avg was low 40's, no bellcurves at york).

My pointis the next day 10-15% of the class dropped the course & it means one shouldn't look at an entire school's repuation and make comment based upon the insitutions. My friend admits york chem was wayy harder than mac's and yet other people think otherwise :(

I'm taking Chem2020 (organic chem) at york this summer and we just finished our first test. I was would say 25% of the students are from mac and 25% from Uoft/Queens/UWO and 50% from york. My friend from Mac got 58% and while all the Mac kids who sat near the front barely passed as I saw their marks from where I was sitting. (class avg was low 40's, no bellcurves at york).

My pointis the next day 10-15% of the class dropped the course & it means one shouldn't look at an entire school's repuation and make comment based upon the insitutions. My friend admits york chem was wayy harder than mac's and yet other people think otherwise :(

Same thing with Physics at York when I took it in the summer.

Same thing with Physics at York when I took it in the summer.

Sorry, 30% of the students dropped. Also, next time someone tells you York is less difficult than any Mac or any other University, tell them to take summer school here and see exactly how hard it is instead of making assumptions based on their ego.

Archived