Premed 101 Forums

Federal Elections and Health Care

Triathlete90

Spend billions on primary care, rather than on prisons and fighter jets. :D

Hell, even if Russia were to make a move for all that precious oil under the Arctic, do you really think jets will be at all useful? They'll probably freeze in the weather. Never mind that Russia wouldn't bother conquering our section of the Arctic, they'd just buy us out of it. :P

Hell, even if Russia were to make a move for all that precious oil under the Arctic, do you really think jets will be at all useful? They'll probably freeze in the weather. Never mind that Russia wouldn't bother conquering our section of the Arctic, they'd just buy us out of it. :P

There's this little organization called NATO that Canada is part of. We need to be able to work with our NATO allies on missions around the world. That means we need fighter jets that allow us to work with our allies. It's sad that before their last avionics upgrade, our CF-18s couldn't fly some missions with our allies because they couldn't communicate with them.

A strong military is important to Canadian sovereignty.

[condescension]There's this little organization called NATO that Canada is part of. We need to be able to work with our NATO allies on missions around the world. That means we need fighter jets that allow us to work with our allies. It's sad that before their last avionics upgrade, our CF-18s couldn't fly some missions with our allies because they couldn't communicate with them.

A strong military is important to Canadian sovereignty.[/[condescension]

Justa to make it a little more explicit :).

Are there currently any major threats to Canadian sovereignty that require such an advanced fighter? Of course there's the Arctic and changing trade routes, but I highly doubt it will come to an armed conflict if cooler heads prevail at discussion tables. I highly doubt Russia and the United States will want to risk angering the rest of the world if they do something stupid in Canadian territorial waters.

Also, if NATO article 5 is every invoked again, I highly doubt that we'll have to worry about air superiority given that the United States will be taking care of the majority of air sorties for us.

Perhaps an upgrade was needed, but the correct consultation and bidding process was neglected.

There's this little organization called NATO that Canada is part of. We need to be able to work with our NATO allies on missions around the world. That means we need fighter jets that allow us to work with our allies. It's sad that before their last avionics upgrade, our CF-18s couldn't fly some missions with our allies because they couldn't communicate with them.

A strong military is important to Canadian sovereignty.

I'm going to throw it out there. There needs to be higher income and corporate taxes. A more aggressive progressive tax to ensure that those that earn more are paying more is in my opinion, the more fair our system will be to lower-income owners. People in higher economic strata can maintain a more-than-comfortable quality of living if taxed in this fashion.

Of course there will be individuals that say, "IT'S MY MONEY, I'LL DO WHAT I WANT! LESS GOVERNMENT!" but I believe in a Canada that allows people of all socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds to have the opportunity to succeed.

I'd spend the increased government revenue on better primary care infrastructure at hospitals as well as better post-secondary education in general. Perhaps an increased number of tertiary care centres through more provincial transfers?

I'm going to throw it out there. There needs to be higher income and corporate taxes. A more aggressive progressive tax to ensure that those that earn more are paying more is in my opinion, the more fair our system will be to lower-income owners. People in higher economic strata can maintain a more-than-comfortable quality of living if taxed in this fashion.

Define comfortable

Perhaps an upgrade was needed, but the correct consultation and bidding process was neglected.

We bought into the JSF program in the 1990's as a level 3 partner in order to gain access to build contracts and tech data during development. At that time, it was widely regarded that the JSF (now the F-35) would be a cheap mini F-22. Now there are serious cost overruns in the program and many people (including USAF brass) are questioning the promised performance of the F-35.

Given these two facts, a review and a fly-off wouldn't hurt anyone. Even if it costs a few million to do, the fighters are gonna cost multiple tens of billions. Lets make sure we are getting the best deal we can. Invite the F-35, Eurofighter, Rafale, Gripen NG, Silent Eagle and the F-18e/f.

Part of me agrees with this and part of me doesn't. I really on't think we need to spend more on our military. How about we start by getting them out of Afghanistan. History has shown us that international intervention rarely solves anything. Often times we intervene and put an even more unstable government in place. That's why I am against going into Libya, even though I agree with the rebels. In my opinion the military should be used for self defence only. We wouldn't need bigger prisons if Harper was open to legalization of marijuana, but that's another point.

I remember seeing stats showing that more healthcare spending doesn't necessarily mean better healthcare. Personally I'd like to see beurocracy being cut down, and more education on deciding when to order tests. A good way to start would be to let the general public and physicians know how much tests cost. No point in ordering a $1000 CT scan if it's not going to change our diagnosis or treatment plan.

We also seem to have a fascination with private public partnership hospitals (although we aren't close to as bad as the UK), which end up costing us a ton in the long run. I'd say it would be much better to focus on putting money into hospitals ourselves instead of letting private companies gouge us in the long run.

Archived