Premed 101 Forums

Is it illegal to shadow a physician?

They let an untrained volunteer describe medical procedures? That just seems really sketchy to me. Nothing against you, btw- just surprised they wouldn't have the doctor or at very least a nurse go through the procedure w/ patient.

I don't think any consent form mentions non-specific "learners", so much as others who the surgeon may "designate" to participate in the procedure. If this ever came up in a lawsuit, it is very reasonable to doubt that the presence of people who are not registered in a health professions education program and are there simply to "shadow" would not become problematic.

I've had two surgeries in the past, and I read over the consent forms VERY carefully. There was nothing in either one (the surgeries were at two different hospitals) that mentioned "learners". I DO remember that, for the second surgery, there was a special note indicating that a resident would be assisting my doctor with the surgery, and I was quite concerned about that. So I definitely WOULD have noticed anything about general "learners".

As someone who is starting medical school this fall, I definitely understand and appreciate the fact that residents (and medical students) need to practice and learn, but, as a patient, I truly want the most experienced person possible, someone who has done plenty of similar surgeries, looking after me.

I also believe it depends on the province, you'll get a lot of resistance though, you're not insured and patients are often not comfortable having "non-medical" students there, plus you're usually restricted to one or two sessions (versus I've been shadowing a psychiatrist for 6 months, etc.). I think a lot of it has to do with insurance and legal liability, you can be held accountable if the doctor ****s up I believe.

They let an untrained volunteer describe medical procedures? That just seems really sketchy to me. Nothing against you, btw- just surprised they wouldn't have the doctor or at very least a nurse go through the procedure w/ patient.

Sorry, it seems as I was using the term "described" very loosely. I would just tell them what area of the body they would be examining and what articles of clothing they would have to take off. For example, if they were doing a pelvic scan I had to tell them to take off their pants if they had any metal, take off their bra if they were doing a chest X-ray. That's pretty much the extent of my "description". Sorry for being vague.

I've had two surgeries in the past, and I read over the consent forms VERY carefully. There was nothing in either one (the surgeries were at two different hospitals) that mentioned "learners". I DO remember that, for the second surgery, there was a special note indicating that a resident would be assisting my doctor with the surgery, and I was quite concerned about that. So I definitely WOULD have noticed anything about general "learners".

As someone who is starting medical school this fall, I definitely understand and appreciate the fact that residents (and medical students) need to practice and learn, but, as a patient, I truly want the most experienced person possible, someone who has done plenty of similar surgeries, looking after me.

I don't think you should be concerned about residents and medical students doing anything beyond their range of competency. The staff surgeon is always there scrubbed in much more than a supervisory role.

In any case, I've done lots of consents and cannot recall seeing anything about unspecified "learners". I imagine some centres have such stipulations on consent forms but not here.

um well I don't think it's illegal - I shadowed all sorts of people, did a co-op at the hospital and had my hands in people's abdomens and assisting in surgeries when I was 18...I think it's more about consent, trust, and professionalism

Whaaat? as an undergrad student?? where?!

Archived