Premed 101 Forums

3.73 last 2 year = no chance?

Hey I was wondering if you guys had a good sense of what the last 2 yr gpa cutoff was for this cycle? Would I have a chance with a 3.73 last 2 year GPA?

Thanks

First they look at overall GPA (cGPa) and then if you are below the cutoff, which I think is a 3.7, then they look at last two years to see if you can meet it. If not, then I think you're flagged.

Then what does the final GPA have to be?

If my cGPA is >> 3.7 but my last 2 years is only around 3.7, do I stand a chance as well?

cgpa is the first cutoff. It you meet that, they don't look at your 2 year gpa. The last 2 year gpa cutoff is only for people who don't meet the cgpa cutoff.

yea i bombed my first year so my cumulative isnt 3.7 :( is their new system more lenient or do they have hard cutoffs. So could I balance out my 3.73 with a good mcat and solid Ecs?

Okay...so your cGPA < 3.7, and your last two years is < 3.75...I would still apply as you're close, but you do risk them dismissing your application because of academic cutoff.

To my understanding, Queens and Western are both hard cut-off schools. If you don't meet any of their reqs, you don't get an interview.

But their MCAT reqs went up :(

What did everyone decide the number cutoffs were in the end? The writing went down.

yea i bombed my first year so my cumulative isnt 3.7 :( is their new system more lenient or do they have hard cutoffs. So could I balance out my 3.73 with a good mcat and solid Ecs?

I am pretty sure they are hard cut offs, but I dont think they specifically said that anywhere. Plus, the cutoffs change year to year so its hard to predict when you are so close. I think you need to meet the cut offs and then still do well on ECs/refs as there were people this year who had good enough MCAT and GPAs but didnt get interviews right?

What did everyone decide the number cutoffs were in the end? The writing went down.

I am pretty sure they are hard cut offs, but I dont think they specifically said that anywhere. Plus, the cutoffs change year to year so its hard to predict when you are so close. I think you need to meet the cut offs and then still do well on ECs/refs as there were people this year who had good enough MCAT and GPAs but didnt get interviews right?

What did Queens increase for their MCAT reqs again? I don't remember exactly (kinda multitasking in class ATM) but something went up.

Yup, last year was pretty surprising...they seemed to look at ECs and LORs as well, which I believe they historically did after interviews. Queens never says on their site that they are "hard cutoff" so you should apply anyway and see.

Archived