Premed 101 Forums

Is neuroscience a viable backup?

p0o9

Hi everyone,

I am currently at my last term of Cegep and I’m seriously considering going into neuroscience if things don't work out for me at the French universities for pre-med and pharmd. It’s a program that I am rather interested in among many other programs, although the main reason why I choose this as a backup is because I just couldn’t stand wasting a “good” r-score. But my concerns are:

1) How difficult is it to reapply to a profession degree afterwards

2) Will the conversion from GPA to CRU for the French universities put me at a disadvantage if I do my bac. in neuro (since the entrance requirement for neuro is much higher than any other science bac. offered at either of the French univ)

3) What job prospect can I expect with a bac in neuroscience… would I need to do a master or a phd afterwards to get a stable income

And also, I was wondering if anyone would know how demanding the program is compared to an average science bac. e.g. microbiology, physiology, immunology, etc. ? (I am very much worried that I would have less time for extracurricular activities, etc. if I choose neuro vs. another bac )

Thanks a lot in advance :)

After an undergraduate program in neuroscience, most people seem to enter either a professional program or graduate school. Not sure what you could do with a bachelor's degree that would be different from any other general science degree. Even with a MSc or PhD, the research path is not what I tend to associate most strongly with a stable income (compared to most health professions). I think it's important to be truly interested in the material.. else you will find the program unnecessarily demanding.

After an undergraduate program in neuroscience, most people seem to enter either a professional program or graduate school. Not sure what you could do with a bachelor's degree that would be different from any other general science degree. Even with a MSc or PhD, the research path is not what I tend to associate most strongly with a stable income (compared to most health professions). I think it's important to be truly interested in the material.. else you will find the program unnecessarily demanding.

Thanks! :)

I didn't know that things were like that... somehow, I got into my mind that competitive program=better job prospect and stabler income. I guess I should have done more research...

But since a bachelor in neuroscience pretty much lead to the same options than any other bachelor in science, I'm starting to become really confused about why its entrance requirement is almost as high as for med though :confused:

Thanks! :)

But since a bachelor in neuroscience pretty much lead to the same options than any other bachelor in science, I'm starting to become really confused about why its entrance requirement is almost as high as for med though :confused:

The neuroscience bachelor is new at McGill and it is viewed to be quite tough. Also, it is expected to be quite popular and that is why the entrance requirements are high.

I think most of the people who plan on applying to med school after a bachelor degree usually go in physiology or in anatomy and cell biology. Though, McGill have no preference in terms of the program you take. As long as you do extracurricular activities (I know the Anatomy and Cell Biology student society offers a lot of opportunities to do so, either through student government or assisting students in labs).

After a bachelor degree in sciences, people could do a business degree (B.Com or MBA).

Knowledge in management is useful everywhere : hospital, pharmaceutical companies, universities and research institute.

McGill offers the joint programs MD, MBA as well as MD, PhD, which are only available to candidates with a bachelor degree. MD, PhD is open to applicants with some research background, either through a masters degree, an honor bachelor degree, or stages/summer research programs.

I don't think they mentioned work experience on the web site, but they do mention your interest in the program. Have a look at these :

http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/mdmba/

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/programs/mdcmmba

Hi thanks for the reply. in the first link the faculty of desautels mention that applicants must submit a letter of intent and referees, is this the same thing as the personal narrative for med or do we have to submit a separate application for the MBA.

I plan on going into engineering, which is 4 years. I was originally planning on applying to med on my third year, but if I want to do the joint MBA program does that mean I will have to apply on my fourth year (so that I would have completed a bachelors degree)?

I really don't know, but i would assume it is a different letter for the Faculty of Management, since you have to put more an emphasis on why you want the MBA part of the program I think.

On the Faculty of Management's web site it says :"Successful candidates must hold this bachelor's degree when they register."

Since the application deadline is November 15th, I imagine you would have to apply after you graduate, which would end up giving you a one year gap between your bachelor degree and entering the MD & MBA program...

Since the application deadline is November 15th, I imagine you would have to apply after you graduate, which would end up giving you a one year gap between your bachelor degree and entering the MD & MBA program...

Wouldn't you be applying during your fourth year's November 15th, and if accepted it will be conditional on the basis of you completing the bachelors I think....

But you won't have your bachelor degree when you'll register, and if "register" means applying, for which the deadline is in November...

No, register is not applying. Registration would be when you would start the program, the following fall.

So, you can apply in your fourth year. Your acceptance would be conditional, upon successfully completing your degree.

No, register is not applying. Registration would be when you would start the program, the following fall.

So, you can apply in your fourth year. Your acceptance would be conditional, upon successfully completing your degree.

You must be right, it would make more sense than losing a complete year

Archived