Premed 101 Forums

Question about interview process

The interviewers want to get to know you and how you think on the spot. If you're writing things down to organize your thoughts they might think you'll have trouble in every day life making decisions, choices, etc.

They want to see you think on your feet and answer well, not because you're writing everything down, but because that's what you would have to do in day to day life.

I think if you were trying to write things down before giving your answer there'd be a lot of awkward silence.

"Erm, give me a moment."

"Alright."

"*Scribble scribble*..."

"..."

"..."

'..."

The questions are short and let you flex your creative and practical mental muscles. Just practice your responses! :)

Yeah... Based on the interview I had at UBC... There wouldn't have been much time for jotting stuff down without getting awkward. Then again I like to look at people when I speak to them, I've had some conversations with people that would clearly rather focus their eyes on a pen and paper... And those people wouldn't likely make good dentists, haha. You just gotta respond in your own uniquie way... I guess your unique way could be via writing down your answers... haha, but that's neither here nor there.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it... but if it would make you more comfortable, and better able to answer the questions effectively - go for it!

Also, I have a hard time believing they will let you write stuff down. I would imagine that they don't want you writing down the questions and such, weather you are doing it or not... I can't imagine they would like that, or let it fly? But I donno! All I can say is good luck!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I can definitely help you out with this question. I just got accepted to U of T today, and for my interview there I DID bring stuff to write with. Before starting, I asked them if it was ok and they said sure as long as I didn't take the paper with me. I did it to help organize my thoughts, as was mentioned, before giving my answer. I just wanted to quickly make sure I addressed all parts of the questions and had a sortof 'plan' before jumping right into my answers. I used it for the same length of time that I would have (and later did) use for 'thinking time' in an interview without any paper. Anyways, I mention all this to let you know that it's ok to do, it won't screw up their opinion of you (i guess), and that they keep the paper obviously. I still made eye contact and all that jazz while answering the U of T interviewers, so the notes didn't take away from my answers, just helped me set up first.

For my Western interview, I didn't bring anything cause I felt more comfortable by then in planning everything in my head and I felt that not having the extra baggage actually made me more comfortable. Comfort = more confidence = better interview! And thank God too! the Western interview table was so small! lol

my advice from all this is to practice your interview enough so you don't need to bring anything extra in with you, so that you feel less tied down by it and can instead give your full attention to the actual delivery of your answers. That being said, if you really must do so, know that it is also ok and as long as you don't end up reading off your notes or something dumb like that, then it should also be fine

I would be the opposite of shabibi. I nailed my interview (panel), which doesn't allow you to bring anything into the room, but when I had an MMI style I got owned by having things in front of me because all I could look at was my writing papers and the question. Now, I didn't practice either interview style that much, but when I went in, having something in front of me to reference (MMI) definitely caused me to stare at my paper for over half the interviews and it definitely destroyed my score (i ranked middle third)

so do what you're comfortable with, but if you're not making eye contact with your interviewers you definitely will knock yourself down a few points.

I would be the opposite of shabibi. I nailed my interview (panel), which doesn't allow you to bring anything into the room, but when I had an MMI style I got owned by having things in front of me because all I could look at was my writing papers and the question. Now, I didn't practice either interview style that much, but when I went in, having something in front of me to reference (MMI) definitely caused me to stare at my paper for over half the interviews and it definitely destroyed my score (i ranked middle third)

so do what you're comfortable with, but if you're not making eye contact with your interviewers you definitely will knock yourself down a few points.

I agree with this, nonverbal communication is as important as verbal communication especially in an interview of this importance. Also, not having any material seems more natural from a presentation standpoint.

Archived