Premed 101 Forums

If you hate memorizing type of courses, is med for you?

Will i succeed? I can get a 90 in anatomy. I just hate every second of it. The stuff is cool for a bit, but there is so much information that I just don't like it anymore. Will Medschool and studying during residence be a complete bore? If i hate the stuff now, will i be unhappy? Obvious no one can tell me what i will feel, but how did you guys deal with these feelings (if you had them at all)?

Me! I did not like memorizing the structures of amino acids. But it got me into medical school, and medicine is about delayed gratification.

If you can get through the first two years of med, I found that being on the wards involved much more application of knowledge (though they try to incorporate that into the preclerkship curriculum as well). When diagnosing and treating clinical syndromes, you apply your knowledge of anatomy, so it involves more problem solving. Of course, to be able to do so means you had to have gained enough fluency in that fund of knowledge at some point. But if you can get a 90 despite hating the memorizing, you probably have what it takes if you can just keep plugging away at it. Med school will definitely be easier if you have a background in anatomy.

Archived