Premed 101 Forums

General Application Inquiries

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the application process (I am assuming that they are generally similar for most schools?). When do the application cycle begin, and how long do we have to complete the app and everything else that goes along with it? (eg. LORs) I understand that for some schools, like U of T, we are required to write an essay as part of our application; is this just an autobiographical essay? How long would we have to write it?

Thanks for your input!

Soe

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the application process (I am assuming that they are generally similar for most schools?). When do the application cycle begin, and how long do we have to complete the app and everything else that goes along with it? (eg. LORs) I understand that for some schools, like U of T, we are required to write an essay as part of our application; is this just an autobiographical essay? How long would we have to write it?

Thanks for your input!

Soe

Need to visit OMSAS. http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/ read it first, all the information is posted in the booklet here: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/omsas-components/

Applications generally open in the summer, like in July. The deadline depends on the school, but it's roughly sometime in September/October/early November. For UofT, the essay is autobiographical about why you want to be a doctor and things you've done. You'd have from July to October to write it. For all schools, there's lots of time to do the appliction.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your input!

Soe

Hey Soe,

All your questions can be answered on http://www.ouac.on.ca or searching these forums. That said, briefly speaking:

1) OMSAS application opens early July. You can start filling the application at this time. It is due end of September. LORs* need to be sent in by October 1st ideally...but some schools are flexible and extend this deadline to December 1st.

*LORs are accepted starting August 1st so try to get your referees to send them in ASAP after that date so you need not worry about it.

2) You'll need to fill in a sketch of your ECs with very short descriptions into OMSAS. A max of 48.

3) You'll need the contacts of people who can verify any of the ECs you list so schools can double check if they wish.

4) With regards to U of T specifically...the prompt is:

--

All applicants are required to submit an original personal statement, in an essay of 1,000 words or less. As a general guideline, the statement should address and discuss the applicant's personal background, including particular interests and extracurricular experiences. Candidates should outline their choice of, and preparation for, a career in medicine. Applicants should also describe their premedical studies, expanding on what they have chosen to pursue and how this has prepared them for their future, including a career in medicine.

--

You can start writing your personal statement now. In fact, I'd strongly suggest starting now...it's a long process.

I'll let others chime in if you have more questions. Do some homework on your questions though and you'll be pleasantly surprised to find your answers :).

Edit: All other Canadian schools have separate applications that you'll need to visit their websites for. The American app can be found on http://www.amcas.org and it is available in early May and can (and should) be submitted starting early June. With American apps you need to fill out one application and it will be sent to all schools in the US you choose to apply to. Afterward, each school will contact you individually with short answer/essay questions you'll need to answer and send back in to them (these are called secondaries).

Archived