Premed 101 Forums

Global Health residency?

Not exactly sure, but I know you can do a lot in the field of international medicine with a FM or Community Medicine (can't remember the new name) residency. Heck, I've met everyone from general trauma surgeons to ophthalmologists to plastic surgeons who were heavily involved in global health initiatives.

I believe there is actually a +1 in global health offered for FM residents, and I think it's offered at several schools, such as U of C and UBC. Here's an example of the curriculum: http://www.ucalgary.ca/familymedicine/globalhealth

Here in Alberta there is a +1 you can get after family medicine in advanced Obs/surgery, which may be useful for doing C-sections and such in other, less medically-developed countries.

I seem to remember that a recent (current?) World Health Organization president was a dermatologist. This goes to show that if you are interested and you put yourself "out there", then the opportunities in global health for anyone with an MD are fantastic.

It depends what you mean by "global health". If you mean working in 3rd world countries, any doc with sufficient training can do that. If you mean working on big policy issues then Public Health and Preventive Medicine is the way to go.

It depends what you mean by "global health". If you mean working in 3rd world countries, any doc with sufficient training can do that. If you mean working on big policy issues then Public Health and Preventive Medicine is the way to go.

Just wanted to emphasize the "sufficient training" in this quote. How you get that training varies, and I truly believe there should be some standardization of such skills. That way there wouldn`t be yahoos going down to places like Haiti and putting in external fixators in people's bodies and then leaving them with nobody to take them out etc.

• 1 month later...

U Calgary and U Toronto both have +1 programs for Family Med. Not sure if any other Canadian Schools do.

In the US, Harvard has a Global Health residency that is part of a program in Internal Medicine.

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Departments_and_Services/medicine/services/socialmedicine/gheresidency.aspx

I think other US schools might as well... check out UCSF, for example.

Archived