Premed 101 Forums

MCAT tips and tricks

Guest dopetown

To mimic the above, I read the passage fairly thoroughly and then answer the questions.

However, once in a while you get one of those questions that require you to go back almost 90% of the time (i.e. "what does the word ______ mean in the sentence").

By the way, try and get your hands on MCAT 45 by Kaplan. The questions in the there aren't very difficult in nature at all and provide valuable analytical techniques for all sections of the MCAT. Plus, once you go through a sample test in there, AMCAS's tests don't seem so unfair.

Guest studentz

If any of you are using the "read the passage thoroughly the first time" strategy for VR, you're looking for trouble. Nobody is testing you on how much you understand after the section is done--the only info you need to know is that which is necessary to answer the questions. If you waste time trying to comprehend everything in the passage you will not only likely run out of time, but also fall for some of the traps the MCAT writers use to get people who rely on memory instead of going back to the passage for the relevant info. You'll be much better off noting where key info is and only trying to understand it if you need to--especially in the difficult and convoluted passages that will surely come up.

Guest jamiel911

I think student is correct! That's the technique I use. I tend to make mental pictures about what is happening in the passage. This helps me engage into the passage. Also, try to really pay attention to what the author's view. These are where most questions stem.

Guest dopetown

Studentz,

Do you think the skimming technique is fit for everyone?

I noticed when I first tried it that it was difficult for me to FIND where the the questions were alluding to. I ended up taking more time than the thoroughly reading technique.

How do you skim the passage the first time? How should we practice to improve?

And if you don't mind, what was your VR score?

-Dopetown

Guest studentz

You should just spend a few minutes getting the main idea of the passage, how it's organized and where key info is (dates, names, evidence). People get screwed on this test cuz they read it as though they were reading a text that they'll be tested on months down the road--again, nobody (least of all the AAMC) cares how much you remember at the lunch break. All you have to do is answer the question.

I don't like posting my stats everywhere cuz it's not really relevant (the app. process is made up of more than just stats, and even on the MCAT, you won't be scaled against the same people I was). I'll just say that I have yet to see a school where my scores were below the average for matriculants.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Some people need evidence to be convinced that one approach to VR passages is better for them than another. In order to generate such evidence try this: do a full VR section using the "detailed reading" method, and perhaps one day later (give your brain some time to recuperate), do one using a "passage annotation" method. Afterwards, compare the following; 1) number of passages that were successfully completed without guessing, i.e., filling in the circles randomly because time had run out; 2) number of correct answers for each section that involved no guessing, i.e., you were convinced you had the answer correct without having to somewhat randomly choose between two final answers; 3) number of correct answers for each section that involved guessing.

The above scheme might better help you decide which method is better for you, so that you can concentrate on honing this method now, as opposed to remaining unsure as to which basic method you should choose. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I tried both approaches and the technique that best fit me was to annotate the passage, i.e., get a general feel for the passage, and how each paragraph fit into the context of the passage, and then return to the passage for almost every question, to find the answer. The actual reading and annotation of the passage ended up taking me ~2 minutes to complete and answering the questions took ~7 minutes.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Gill0927

I agree with studentz and others...it definitely works better for me to skim the passage first, and then tackle the questions, going back to the passage. Basically, I skimmed the passage to get an idea of the theme and tone, and also so that I had some clue as to where certain ideas were so that when I did go back to the passage for questions, I knew where I was looking.

That said, Kirsteen's right -- see what works best for you by trying both ways with only a bit of time (a day or two) between attempts. From what I've seen/heard, skimming the passage seems to work best for people with a background in arts/humanities or who have an aptitude for reading comprehension, while the 'read the passage thoroughly' technique appears to work well for people who remember minutiae well as they're reading. For me, it would have been useless to use that technique, as my mind wanders when I read and regardless of whether I skim or read thoroughly, I lose the details and only come out with the main theme/tone/point of the passage.

-- Gill :D

Guest dopetown

You know what?

Skimming the passage first worked very well.

I scored a 9 in my first Kaplan practice test. :hat

I made some stupid mistakes too, which means there's room for improvement!

I think the only reason I did terrible the first try was because I used the practice test from The Gold Standard. I'm sure the author is a very smart dude, but his practice tests ain't so representative of the real deal.

-Dopetown

Guest jamiel911

Hey Dopetown or anyone,

When you skim do you slow down for the first and last sentences of a paragraph and speed up for the middle? Also, how much do you mark up your exam? Do you write short notes in the margins? I have been having a lot of problems increasing my score and have been trying everything.

My general technique is to read the first paragraph slower and get an idea of where everything is heading (scope of the author). Then, slow down at the first and last sentence of each paragraph which helps me piece things together. In addition a short paraphrase of each paragraph in the margin (few choppy words)

I use Kaplan's technique to spot wrong answers and try to check back with most of the questions that I answer with the passage.

It seems to take me 4 mins skimming and 6 mins on questions. If things go well and I click with the general gist of things. Thus, its hard for me to finish this section. My scores on a completed passage have been good usually 6/7. This verbal thing is killing me!!

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Passages vary in difficulty. With practice you might find that you'll be able to get a good feel for the goings-on in one paragraph and will be able to skim it more efficiently than paragraphs in more challenging passages. On this end, after reading each paragraph, I'd make a quick note in the margin as to the relevance of the paragraph, i.e., what it covered relative to the whole passage. For example, in one passage on hawksbill turtles, one paragraph might have surrounded the issue of migration while another dealt with the market for hawksbill turtle shell goods. After reading each, I'd note in the margin, "migration" and "market", respectively, so I knew exactly where to go to if any question related to these two hawksbill issues. Again, by doing so, I could skim most passages in about 2 minutes.

Passages of a greater difficulty (and we were taught at PR that there may be at least one easily identifiable "killer" passage in each VR section) generally take longer to read. The PR folks advocate skipping these passages entirely and returning to them only if any time is left over after dealing with the other passages in the section.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest jamiel911

Hey Kirsteen,

I agree there always seem to be one passage that is a total killer in there. I seem to score higher guessing all C's then actually attempting it. Thanks for your tips and I will try them out. I'm not sure if I could get down to 2 mins of skimming. I'm not a fast reader.

Thanks again for your help!!

Guest dopetown

jamiel911,

When I skim, I read every sentence (not word) of the passage but at a very quick speed. As I read, I underline what I think are important words or phrases such as names, dates and general points made by the author. I find if I spend a bit more time skimming, I can more easily REMEMBER and FIND the area of the passage that contains the answer to the question.

I find if I follow the passage with my pencil, I am capable of reading much faster without losing too much on comprehension. Since my pencil is already at the paper, underlining takes no time at all.

I usually take about 3 minutes to skim, which leaves 6 minutes to answer the questions.

-Dopetown

Guest jamiel911

Thanks dopetown! The reading with a pencil as a guide really helps to prevent stoppages. Also, gets me more engaged into the passage.

Guest lsmed

hey guys,

does anyone know where I can find the writing sample prompts from AAMC? Apparently there are like 200 of these prompts. Where are they?

Guest studentz

keep in mind that none of those prompts will appear on the actual exam. try going through them and seeing if you can quickly come up with a good outline (all 3 tasks and examples) instead of writing essay upon essay upon essay.

Guest skiboot

Here's another 'food for thought' question:

Any good ideas regarding what to eat for lunch? I've tried beef/rice/veggies stirfry (From Edo) on one occassion, and a half subway sandwhich (steak & cheese), and both seem to take my concentration down a notch once I enter back into the exam, so I usually top it off with a cup of coffee before getting back into it

I know food is a personal thing, but any other good ideas out there?

Skiboot

PS: I've become somewhat of a coffee addict in the last year and drink between 2-4 cups a day when I'm studying - sometimes this works against me since if I have too much at once, it starts to have the opposite effect and I just get agitated. I think I'm mostly worried about the last section, since the caffeine buzz from lunch will have worn off by the time BS rolls around.

Guest Elaine I

When I wrote the MCAT in April, I had one of those super-sized chocolate bars during the last break. It did the trick! I was wide awake for the bio section, which ended up being my best section by far.

Elaine

Archived