Premed 101 Forums

Biochemistry Prereq

I'm trying to decide between taking taking MBB 222 and 321 at SFU or BIOC 300 at UBC as an unclassified student. It's pretty much the last course I'll have to take. Because BIOC 300 is worth 6 credits, I'm assuming it takes place over 2 semesters. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a few things

- Is there a condensed biochem course that can be taken in 1 semester and fulfill UBC's prerequisite?

- Should I do MBB 222/321 at SFU or BIOC 300 at UBC as an unclassified student?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm trying to decide between taking taking MBB 222 and 321 at SFU or BIOC 300 at UBC as an unclassified student. It's pretty much the last course I'll have to take. Because BIOC 300 is worth 6 credits, I'm assuming it takes place over 2 semesters. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a few things

- Is there a condensed biochem course that can be taken in 1 semester and fulfill UBC's prerequisite?

- Should I do MBB 222/321 at SFU or BIOC 300 at UBC as an unclassified student?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I did BIOC 300 over the summer at UBC. It was pretty good, although it's a lot of work, and a little deceptive since they push a year-long course into 6wks. 2wks classes, then a midterm, then 2 more weeks, then another midterm, then 2 more weeks, then the final.

It's probably too late for you to sign up for this summer. :)

Here is the table of equivalents at other canadian u's.

http://www.med.ubc.ca/__shared/assets/Acceptable_Biochemistry_Courses_-_Canadian_Universities16588.pdf

You can take BIOL 3130 and BIOL 3230 distance through Thompson Rivers if its too late to reg at SFU and UBC.

You might also want to consider the age-old, but relevant, debate over the ubc vs sfu grading system. ie even if you get an A + at sfu it only equates to 90% at ubc.

Good luck!

UBC let me take CHEM301 at Athabasca for 1/2 the biochem requirement. (I already had one course). If you are too late to register for the in house sessions that may be a distance learning option you can consider. It works on whatever timeline you want it to.

Of course, I'll add the caveat that you should call the admissions office and make sure they will accept whatever course you are planning to take :)

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I should have been a little more specific. By "last course" I mean, it's the last course I plan to take before I apply. I'll be taking biochem next year at the earliest.

Distance ed doesn't suit me very well. It sounds like the UBC summer course might be a good fit, although a year long course in 6 weeks sounds...interesting.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I should have been a little more specific. By "last course" I mean, it's the last course I plan to take before I apply. I'll be taking biochem next year at the earliest.

Distance ed doesn't suit me very well. It sounds like the UBC summer course might be a good fit, although a year long course in 6 weeks sounds...interesting.

Back when I was at UBC the bioc 300 course was only offered at 8am for the full year option... not sure if it is any different now.

The summer course was 6 weeks from July-Aug and flew by. The material was vast, and you had to go to class every day for 2 hours but it beat the hell out of waking up and commuting to UBC for 8am from coquitlam (read: wake up at 540 to take bioc).

Good luck!

Back when I was at UBC the bioc 300 course was only offered at 8am for the full year option... not sure if it is any different now.

The summer course was 6 weeks from July-Aug and flew by. The material was vast, and you had to go to class every day for 2 hours but it beat the hell out of waking up and commuting to UBC for 8am from coquitlam (read: wake up at 540 to take bioc).

Good luck!

same deal now hking.

i knew some friends that took the coquitlam express to dtown and then 84 to UBC when we took BIOC 300... apparently it saved a lot of time!

It doesn't actually save that much time... in fact, when I drove with my friend it was actually quicker. The thing that it does save is the stress of having to pay attention early in the morning. You just get on and get off... you can sleep or study or read or whatever.

All in all, living greater than 20 minutes away from campus is not conducive to early morning classes...

For you SFUers, the prereqs are MBB 222 and MBB 321. However MBB 231 seems to be prereq for 321... So we're required to take all three, essentially?

I believe so, yes. I'm wondering if that bioc course at UBC covers all three of these classes, or two of them?

Archived