Premed 101 Forums

Chances of matching into a Sugerical Residency (Carms or American) from Wayne statemd

short answer is no.

again, no

Wait, your chances are not lower for CaRMs if you come from an american MD? Am I missing something here??? I thought your chances were a lot lower if you studied anywhere but Canada

Guest copacetic

assuming you are a canadian citizen already, or permanent resident and you go to a LCME accredited school (practically every school in the USA and Canada is LCME accredited, then you have access to first round Carms spots in the canadian match). do a rotation if you can at the program you are interested, and you should be on equal footing with the canadian grads

assuming you are a canadian citizen already, or permanent resident and you go to a LCME accredited school (practically every school in the USA and Canada is LCME accredited, then you have access to first round Carms spots in the canadian match). do a rotation if you can at the program you are interested, and you should be on equal footing with the canadian grads

So (and excuse my ignorance) why don't more people go the US route then? Is it just a matter of cost, or? I know lots of people who had stats that, based on this site I'd have considered very competitive for US schools, but they didn't apply there and went the Carribean route.

So (and excuse my ignorance) why don't more people go the US route then? Is it just a matter of cost, or? I know lots of people who had stats that, based on this site I'd have considered very competitive for US schools, but they didn't apply there and went the Carribean route.

I think it's a combination of: 1. the cost and 2. not all US schools are "Canadian friendly" if you aren't a US permanent resident (or have dual-citizenship). Plus not everyone has all the pre-reqs that US schools require, and maybe some don't want to take the extra time to complete those pre-reqs? Also, with the US schools, applying earlier is best, since they have rolling admissions, perhaps the timing doesn't work out for everyone.

It's probably a combination of the cost and the fact that most schools aren't Canadian-friendly. There's also the issue of getting a residency spot in the states as a non-US resident, which is substantially more limited and difficult.

this is totally new information to me... does this include carribean schools?

Guest copacetic
Of course not, the US schools are on par (and even better) than canadian schools, so we all have LCME accreditation. Caribbean schools don't meet the LCME accreditation but do have WHO accreditation.

some carribean schools are american schools "in" the carribean. However, though they are WHO accredited, they are NOT LCME accredited. Thus, you will be considered IMG if you go to a carribean school. only schools in canada and USA proper are LCME accredited.

Carib school grads have a near impossible task in matching to any residency spot in Canada. In the US they have a few more options given the greater number of spots, but most of these are in fields like family medicine and in locations that are undesirable. Sure, you hear of the SGU grad that matched to dermatology or orthopedics etc, but it cannot be emphasized enough that they are exceptions.

The moral of the story is that if you want to go into a competitive residency, do not go overseas for medical school.

No. Caribbean schools are not the same as US ones. US grads can enter the first round of CaRMS. Caribbean grads can only enter the second round.

actually they are considered IMG's and go through the IMG first round and the common second round (in the second round all applicants are eligible for all spots)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that's just wrong,

http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml

Check table: Summary of intake criteria for United States Medical School Graduates.

Canadian Citizen/PRs who graduate from US LMCE accredited schools are treated as CMGs under CaRMS and apply competitively and not in the IMG stream in the first round of CaRMS.

A list of LMCE schools can be found here:

http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

actually they are considered IMG's and go through the IMG first round and the common second round (in the second round all applicants are eligible for all spots)

Archived