Premed 101 Forums

Summer Jobs

Lost&Found

Hey everyone,

This is probably a silly question. I've been applying for summer jobs recently and always request a read receipt via e-mail. How long after the email has been opened, should I expect a response from the hiring manager? Do most employers send out responses immediately after looking at someone's resume? Or do they mull over the decision/put it aside for a few hours/days? Kind of a weird question, I know, but I'm curious to see what people's responses are.

Read receipts are somewhat rude... If you ever read the book "send" http://www.amazon.com/Send-Essential-Guide-Email-Office/dp/0307263649 it teaches you that read receipts are very rarely used, especially if that person is a prospective employer or supervisor. Send up gentle follow up emails instead if you haven't gotten a response in a week or two. Responses are usually interview offers to meet...it depends on the supervisor, but you should follow up usually in 5 business days if you haven't gotten a response.

Remember, other people may be just as busy as you are.

Read receipts are somewhat rude... If you ever read the book "send" http://www.amazon.com/Send-Essential-Guide-Email-Office/dp/0307263649 it teaches you that read receipts are very rarely used, especially if that person is a prospective employer or supervisor. Send up gentle follow up emails instead if you haven't gotten a response in a week or two. Responses are usually interview offers to meet...it depends on the supervisor, but you should follow up usually in 5 business days if you haven't gotten a response.

Remember, other people may be just as busy as you are.

I didn't know that. :o Would the employer know if an applicant has requested a read receipt? If so, would it alter his/her decision? How many times is it acceptable to send a follow-up? Is it alright to send a follow-up every 5-6 business days until the employer responds? Or is there some sort of rule against more than 1 follow-up?

Thanks for the link. I'll read the book this summer for sure. I tend to use email quite alot :)

I didn't know that. :o Would the employer know if an applicant has requested a read receipt? If so, would it alter his/her decision? How many times is it acceptable to send a follow-up? Is it alright to send a follow-up every 5-6 business days until the employer responds? Or is there some sort of rule against more than 1 follow-up?

Thanks for the link. I'll read the book this summer for sure. I tend to use email quite alot :)

It depends on the individual for many of your questions. However, I can tell you that the pop-up for a "click yes if you had read this email" irks me a bit, or even worse, I turn apathetic to the email. If you had sent a read receipt, your recipient probably got it. Dont' spam...if you're not receiving any follow up at all, maybe call or drop in person.

Archived