Premed 101 Forums

Bio vs Psych vs Kine (Guelph U)

I've been accepted to Guelph for Bio, but I'm thinking about switching my major to Psychology or Kinesiology. I know someone who goes to Guelph and says Psychology involves a lot of math and is hard, and that Kinesiology (Guelph calls it Human Kinetics) involves a lot of intense memorization, and that I would just be better of staying with Bio. I'm interested in Bio, Pysch and Kine, but I think I would enjoy Kine or Pysch better. So my question is: How tough are these programs? Is one easier than the other? If anyone here is studying one of these majors, what are they like? Thanks!

Do what you enjoy.

I struggle immensely with classes that bore me. If I can make the most difficult class interesting, I do well.

I have switched majors a number of times. I eventually settled on psych. It is pretty interesting. Of course, I am not at your school. But still - my advice - do what you enjoy. Then stick with that decision. If you are going for med, the degree doesn't matter. Just have the required courses and a good GPA.

I've been accepted to Guelph for Bio, but I'm thinking about switching my major to Psychology or Kinesiology. I know someone who goes to Guelph and says Psychology involves a lot of math and is hard, and that Kinesiology (Guelph calls it Human Kinetics) involves a lot of intense memorization, and that I would just be better of staying with Bio. I'm interested in Bio, Pysch and Kine, but I think I would enjoy Kine or Pysch better. So my question is: How tough are these programs? Is one easier than the other? If anyone here is studying one of these majors, what are they like? Thanks!

psychology involving a lot of math? beyond statistics?

i'd ask for clarification... or, go to the guelph psychology department website and check out all of the courses they offer and what the grad requirements are.

if i were to go back to school i'd want to get a degree in hkin... because it seems pretty interesting. like others have said- do what you want to do... either way you will encounter some hard courses and some boring ones, but if psych or kine are your interests then go for them.

also, if i understand correctly you are entering your first year this september so you should be able to take a couple different courses like first year psych, first year bio and if they have first year hkin try it out... see what you like best for yourself and you'll have taken care of some electives along the way.

Thanks for the response. Do you do a lot of math in your pysch courses or pysch program in general?

my program only had one psychology course that contained math that was required for graduation... it was the statistics for psychology course... i also took the same thing for a biology lab and the standard calc and then the honours statistics in psychology.

Two of my close friends went to Guelph (and eventually ended up at OVC). One of them studied Human Kinetics and really enjoyed it (the other took the standard pre-vet animal science). Although I didn't major in kinesiology during my undergrad, I did take several kin courses and greatly enjoyed them. Depending on the course, you may have a lot of memorization (ie. physiology and anatomy) or a lot of math/physics (ie. biomechanics). I do know my friend who did HK enjoyed the fact that she had the opportunity to do a full year's course in dissection.

If you are interested in the human body and how it works and moves, HK might be a good choice. If you are more interested in the human mind, and how it works, psych might be for you.

Two of my close friends went to Guelph (and eventually ended up at OVC). One of them studied Human Kinetics and really enjoyed it (the other took the standard pre-vet animal science). Although I didn't major in kinesiology during my undergrad, I did take several kin courses and greatly enjoyed them. Depending on the course, you may have a lot of memorization (ie. physiology and anatomy) or a lot of math/physics (ie. biomechanics). I do know my friend who did HK enjoyed the fact that she had the opportunity to do a full year's course in dissection.

If you are interested in the human body and how it works and moves, HK might be a good choice. If you are more interested in the human mind, and how it works, psych might be for you.

I'm more interested in how the body works, so I think human kinetics is the better choice (although I'm also interested in the brain/ cognition). I just don't really enjoy the math/ physics - but the math/ physics would be related to human motion and not the same difficulty level as courses in the math/ physics programs, right?

I'm more interested in how the body works, so I think human kinetics is the better choice (although I'm also interested in the brain/ cognition). I just don't really enjoy the math/ physics - but the math/ physics would be related to human motion and not the same difficulty level as courses in the math/ physics programs, right?

The math and physics is definitely related to biomechanics and human movement, and, at least at the lower levels, is less math-intense than "regular" physics courses. For example, the biomechanics course I took only required "physics for life sciences" as a pre-req, which was a first-year physics course that was non-calculus based. More advanced courses in biomechanics can certainly involve more advanced math and physics, but those are more likely to be electives, for those with an interest in biomechanics.

So in HK, you may have to take a physics course or two (but they may be the "physics light" for biology/environmental/etc. students, as opposed to the calculus-based physics for chemists/physicists/engineers) and maybe one calculus course - but that would be all you would need to know. I'm sure if you check out Guelph's calendar or their HK web site you can find details on exactly how much math/physics you can expect in the program.

Hey Twinbird24, I'm at Guelph right now so feel free to PM me with questions.

In terms of psych- are you thinking of a BA or BSc in psych? (both are honour programs, the BSc one is called Psychology: Brain and Cognition).

My views: Do what you like. If you aren't sure, I would look up the requirement for first year HK and first year psych and compare them. It is likely that both for BSc are extremely similar if not identical. That way in your first year you can put out some feelers and see what you like (do you enjoy your psych classes more, or your HK classes more)

However... something to keep in mind is that all of first year is extremely GENERAL. You don't really get to the good stuff until 3rd year (which is where you will do human physiology and anatomy). Yes, this requires a ton of memory work, but it's also something I'm looking forward to the most (I'm only in 2nd year).

What I would recommend is try and get perspectives from both psychology and human kinetics students next year (I have some friends in HK, and if you PM me I get give you detail and such). Both the Human Kinetics Students Association and the Psychology Students Association have emails and usually the presidents are happy to answer questions about what life is going to look like in the upper years.

Or- you could get the best of both worlds and just throw in a psych minor :)

Thanks for the responses, I think I have all my questions answered for now. I just have one more, what is the difference between the BA Psych and BSc Pysch? I've only looked at the BSc program so far, I thought the BA wasn't an honours program. NVM they are both honors.

Thanks for the responses, I think I have all my questions answered for now. I just have one more, what is the difference between the BA Psych and BSc Pysch? I've only looked at the BSc program so far, I thought the BA wasn't an honours program.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/psychology/

a google search of- university of guelph psychology...

BA and BSc are both honours programs at Guelph (at least based on their website).

this link gives a description of the BSc Psychology Major

http://www.uoguelph.ca/registrar/calendars/undergraduate/current/c10/c10bsc-psyc.shtml

this linke gives a description of the BA Psychology Major

http://www.uoguelph.ca/registrar/calendars/undergraduate/current/c10/c10ba-psyc.shtml

Enjoy.

Kine and Bio will both require a lot of memorization but you can't get a pretty BSc degree for sitting on your bum all day!

Kine atleast is fun lol it's a lot more medical/health whereas bio is a lot more science.

Which do you like better?

I think I would definitely like kine better.

I have been accepted into Bio though, do kine and bio majors have pretty much the same first year classes? Will I lose a lot of time by switching even If I start off in the bio program?

Thanks.

You won't lose any time at all I believe they have the exact same first year. However, I would double check my comparing the 2 first years on the website as they did change up some of the first years for the 2014 year (and I'm 2013 so I may be outdated lol). But I'm 95% sure it would be an easy direct switch.

Because I'm procrastinating atm, here you go:

Biological Science:

Semester 1

BIOL*1070 [0.50] Discovering Biodiversity

CHEM*1040 [0.50] General Chemistry I

MATH*1080 [0.50] Elements of Calculus I

PHYS*1070 [0.50] Introductory Physics for Life Sciences

0.50 Arts or Social Science electives

Students who are lacking one 4U /grade 12 course in Biology, Chemistry or Physics must take the equivalent introductory course in first semester. The required first-year science courses in that subject should be completed according to the revised schedule of studies available at: http://www.bsc.uoguelph.ca/revisedss

Semester 2

BIOL*1080 [0.50] Biological Concepts of Health

BIOL*1090 [0.50] Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology

CHEM*1050 [0.50] General Chemistry II

PHYS*1080 [0.50] Physics for Life Sciences

0.50 Arts or Social Science electives

Human Kinetics:

Semester 1

BIOL*1080 [0.50] Biological Concepts of Health

CHEM*1040 [0.50] General Chemistry I

MATH*1080 [0.50] Elements of Calculus I

PHYS*1070 [0.50] Introductory Physics for Life Sciences

0.50 arts or social science electives

Students who are lacking one 4U /grade 12 course in Biology, Chemistry or Physics must take the equivalent introductory course in first semester. The required first-year science courses in that subject should be completed according to the revised schedule of studies available at: http://www.bsc.uoguelph.ca/revisedss

Semester 2

BIOL*1070 [0.50] Discovering Biodiversity

BIOL*1090 [0.50] Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology

CHEM*1050 [0.50] General Chemistry II

PHYS*1080 [0.50] Physics for Life Sciences

0.50 arts or social science electives

To me, they look identical. Unless I'm missing something. :)

The differences start in second year, with HK students taking biomechanics and nutrition.

Edit: Oh, and if you want to switch, make sure you have good marks (which you will want anyway anyhow for med school) - transferring majors can be competitive at times, and (although this is a few years ago now) my friend in HK at Guelph told me it was a competitive program to get into.

Thanks for the reply. You also get to work with cadavers eventually in the HK course too, right?

Yes. Human Kinetics and Biomed students get to take the dissection course:

HK*3401/2 Human Anatomy: Dissection F-W [1.50]

A two-semester lecture and laboratory course in human anatomy which includes a detailed study of the skeleton, upper and lower limbs, thorax, abdomen, pelvis, perineum, head, neck and central nervous system. The labs involve hands-on dissection. This is a two-semester course offered over consecutive semesters. When you select it you must select HK*3401 in the Fall semester and HK*3402 in the Winter semester. A grade will not be assigned to HK*3401 until HK*3402 has been completed.

Co-requisite(s): HK*3940 or instructor consent

Restriction(s): HK*3501/2. Registration in the B.Sc. Major in Human Kinetics or Bio-Medical Science. Instructor consent required

The alternative is to do the Prosection course, where you deal with previously dissected speciments:

HK*3501/2 Human Anatomy: Prosection F-W [1.50]

A two-semester lecture and laboratory course in human anatomy which includes a detailed study of the skeleton, upper and lower limbs, thorax, abdomen, pelvis, perineum, head, neck and central nervous system. Labs involve observation of anatomical details using prosections and dissected specimens. This is a two-semester course offered over consecutive semesters. When you select it you must select HK*3501 in the Fall semester and HK*3502 in the Winter semester. A grade will not be assigned to HK*3501 until HK*3502 has been completed.

Co-requisite(s): HK*3940

Restriction(s): HK*3401/2, Registration in the B.Sc. Major in Human Kinetics or Bio-Medical Science. Instructor consent required

My friend who did HK at Guelph took the dissection course and really enjoyed it.

I've actually decided to stick with Bio after talking with someone in their 4th year at Guelph in the Bio program. I might just take HK and Pysch classes as electives.

Hi Twinbird, just as a warning... you may want to start off in HK and switch out to regular bio. Just in case. With the HK courses in upper years, many are restricted to HK and Biomed majors so it's sort of a guessing game whether you will get it (this particularly applies to anatomy... most biomed students don't even get in until 4th year, and we require this to graduate).

Archived