Premed 101 Forums

Scheduled MCAT at the same time as my CONVOCATION :((

numero0121407

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, I scheduled my mcat before I realized the exact date of my convocation. I am leaving the country so I had to pick June 16th as my MCAT date, and it turns out MY CONVOCATION is on the same day, AT THE SAME TIME...did this happen to anyone before? I am so sad :((

I go to UofT btw...

1) At UTSG you graduate with college rather than program, didn't know many people in college.

2) I heard it's a bore, my parents couldn't make it, so we all agreed just wait for the med one.

Are you currently in med school?

I was going to ask my registrar if I can graduate with another college, I wonder if that's possible. Its not about graduating with my friends, its a day for my parents to enjoy actually. In fact I prefer not to graduate with my friends because my cGPA falls 0.02 short of the High distinction and I hate to be called in the second group (sad, I know)....

No, applying this year (though it's not really relevant to the question lol).

Yeah, I can understand the parent reason. It wasn't a concern in mine, as it were. I don't think you'll be able to graduate with another college, but best of luck.

Go talk to your registrar. My friend had to leave the country the day of her convocation last year, so they let her graduate a bit earlier with another college. Best of luck!

EDIT: there might be some problem with college specific awards and stuff though. You might have to pick it up from your original college afterwards.

it depends what kind of person you are...

Some people really want to 'experience' convocation. They consider it as the symbol of a milestone in life.

Some people could care less.

My convocation interfered with my travelling plans - I spent my convocation day in central america. It was awesome. I do not regret it.

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, I scheduled my mcat before I realized the exact date of my convocation. I am leaving the country so I had to pick June 16th as my MCAT date, and it turns out MY CONVOCATION is on the same day, AT THE SAME TIME...did this happen to anyone before? I am so sad :((

I go to UofT btw...

If you really wanted to, you could schedule the MCAT sooner, no?

I went to my sister's convocation and lets just say it is the most boring event you could think of times infinity. It was 4 and a half hours of attendance (like from grade school), plus since i go to a bilingual school everything was repeated in english and french... augh! you are not missing much!

I would never attend my faculty's convocation. Waste of 4 years of my life.

Erk, I wish I was in Akihabara for my coming convocation. Sounds AWESOME.

+1 lol I guess i'll be going to my convocation for my parents' sake but my brother's was booooooring....

I missed mine because I had H1N1, and I couldn't even get a deposit refund on my cap/gown rental. :(

Truth be told, I didn't really care that much. I always intended to pursue higher/more education, so why worry about that one ceremony?

I don't think you'll miss it, go rock your MCAT. :)

++ Didn't go to my convocation either :) had mine the day before my MCAT. The only part I regretted was that my parents really wanted to attend it, lol they want to attend everything. But, we made it up by going out for dinner later. Plus, who cares its just another way for our universities to make money by holding these crazy traditional ceremonies and making us pay for expensive frames to hold a piece of paper. That reminds me, I should really go pick up my diploma - llool

I know soooo many people who miss convocation because they would rather save the money and time. Totally OVERRATED!

Archived