Premed 101 Forums

Second degree question

Hey everyone, new to this forum and love the concept. It's great to see pre-meds and future MD's help each other out :)

I had a question regarding the second degree route, which may have been addressed in a previous post but was unable to come across it so I apologize if this has been asked before.

Cutting straight to the chase, I am interested in beginning a second degree as a second chance. In my previous degree, I completed the pre-requisite courses required by schools such as biology, orgo, and so on. Would I be required to complete those courses again once I commence my new degree? Thank you kindly for your assistance! :D

Hey everyone, new to this forum and love the concept. It's great to see pre-meds and future MD's help each other out :)

I had a question regarding the second degree route, which may have been addressed in a previous post but was unable to come across it so I apologize if this has been asked before.

Cutting straight to the chase, I am interested in beginning a second degree as a second chance. In my previous degree, I completed the pre-requisite courses required by schools such as biology, orgo, and so on. Would I be required to complete those courses again once I commence my new degree? Thank you kindly for your assistance! :D

Hi greenplack,

It depends completely on the school and program you choose to do your second degree in. Most schools will transfer your credits, especially if they were from another university (some schools may be less inclined to transfer credits from a college or online institutions). They may also only transfer them if your marks were above a certain level.

You should contact the school you plan to do your second degree in to see how they would handle it. But most of the time you can do a full four-year second degree in either 2 or 3 years due to transfer credits.

Are you certain on the second degree route though? There are only a few situations where it makes the most sense (versus doing a Master's, etc). Please PM me for details if you want more information.

Archived