Premed 101 Forums

'Easy' electives/minors?

McGill890

Hey everyone, I want to have a high GPA, obviously. First off, what are some easy electives at McGill? I've heard that the following are:

Bible and Western Culture

Art of Listening

Insect Biology

I'm also wondering how easy it is to get an A in woman's studies as well as sexual diversity studies (just the intro courses, not as minors). What are some other 'easy' electives?

I also need to minor in something in the humanities. I'm most interested in Geography, but if someone knows, please expand on the difficulty of the following minors, or suggest easier ones:

Geo

Sociology

Psychology (I hear it's 'hard')

Religious Studies

Women's Studies

Sexual Diversity Studies

Etc.

Also, I don't know whether I should major in general bio, or chem. I'm most interested in chem and I would say I'm best at it compared to my other courses, but what is it like 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years? I would do a liberal major btw.

Thanks in advance

I'm most interested in chem and I would say I'm best at it compared to my other courses, but what is it like 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years?

Did a minor in chem here, but took quite a few 2nd/3rd year courses. The program does a pretty good job of transitioning you from 1st year to more advanced courses. If you enjoy 1st year chem (and have a somewhat decent mathematical background), I'd encourage you to give chem a look! However, keep in mind that chem majors have to take a LOT of lab courses, and upper level lab coursework is significantly more demanding than what you would do with gen chem. Personally, I found chem labs at mcgill to be the most painful part of doing my minor....(but that's just me =P)

I know a friend who took Women's Studies and it's not an easy A but it's fairly possible. As for Sexual Diversity, several Med-Ps don't recommend it.

Everyday Physics and other 100-level physics classes or related, such as Science of Storms or stuff like that, are also easy As.

Intro to Philosophy II is a really great and easy class too (but PHIL 200 is not!).

I don't know if you want to get into med school but I was told that they are trying to look away from the GPA since a fair amount of people took Easy A classes...

Well, from what I have been told, most of the Med-P students had a really bad time with Social Sciences and Humanities (aside from Linguistics and Hispanic Civ) because of the lengthy readings, term papers, and essay questions in midterms and finals. I wouldn't say it's impossible to get an A since some people managed to get one, but it's really a lot of work. Science and Arts are two different worlds.

Well, from what I have been told, most of the Med-P students had a really bad time with Social Sciences and Humanities (aside from Linguistics and Hispanic Civ) because of the lengthy readings, term papers, and essay questions in midterms and finals. I wouldn't say it's impossible to get an A since some people managed to get one, but it's really a lot of work. Science and Arts are two different worlds.

Well, I could understand how younger/less experienced Med-P kids would have problems with humanities courses. I didn't know that they were required to take them in Med-P.

I believe all the Med-P are smart enough to be able to pull their A/A-, given that in general, the average cGPA of the 80 Med-P students is 3.98. These courses are not mandatory but for the few who took them, it was more work than expected since they had biology, physiology, anatomy/genetics pilled on top of that.

Well, I could understand how younger/less experienced Med-P kids would have problems with humanities courses. I didn't know that they were required to take them in Med-P.

Some socio teachers clearly say that they never give higher than B+...

Some socio teachers clearly say that they never give higher than B+...

While some other social sciences curve you up like mad even though you and every med-p can achieve a easy 90! Actually most social science I'd recommend!

Which course will never give more than a B+?

I believe all the Med-P are smart enough to be able to pull their A/A-, given that in general, the average cGPA of the 80 Med-P students is 3.98. These courses are not mandatory but for the few who took them, it was more work than expected since they had biology, physiology, anatomy/genetics pilled on top of that.

I call B.S. on the statistic. The average of the 80 Med-P kids is NOT 3.98.

Take EPSC classes, those are fun and entertaining and easy A

This is really not true. The EPSC classes aimed at non-EPSC students are fun and entertaining (terrestrial planets, natural disasters, understanding planet earth) but the rest are not. Many students do not actually do well in these classes. In fact, the graduate students have this document where they compile all of the terrible and hilarious answers that students write on exams.

Let me be the first to say that the eruption at mt st helen's was not made worse by a simultaneous hurricane or tornado.

10% of the med-P students this year or last year (cant remember) apparently failed one of their classes and were kicked out of the program.

I dont know how reliable this stat is, but alot of them take that one year for granted, so I wouldn't be surprised...

Not my stat but the one from Admission Office. And this number is for several years.

And although last year, 8 students did not pass, you don't know the whole story. For many it was not because of their grades.

No offense but I think you either misread or as misquoting the stat.

The number was repeated several times by the admission officer during the interviews Monday and Tuesday. There's not much interpretation to do here, but it's also a fact that they changed the curriculum after the 2014 cohort.

I've actually heard this number last year and this year. Given that Med-Ps can only get the JW McConnell scholarship by being on the Dean's list, as opposed to getting a >3.5cGPA for B.Sc students, this makes perfect sense since they don't want to give all the money to med students. Also, a Med1 told me that their class average now goes around 80-85, which is an A/A- so it wouldn't be surprising if most students are able to get mostly As.

Archived