Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances? Mac/Ottawa, BBA grad, 3.8

Guest student101

Guest student101

I know you probably get this a lot, and if its not allowed, I apologize. I would like to know, though: What are my chances of getting into mac or ott. without the mcat?

-BBA from Schulich SB (YorkU) with GPA 3.75-3.85; with 1st year bio and chem.

-Member of York Finance Club, Accounting Club, and another club which I have yet to decide upon

-Member of church Youth Group (involved in organizing many community events and fundraisers)

-Weekly volunteering at Senior's Long Term Care Centre

-Volunteer at Yorkfest (Annual September festival at York)

-Recipient of Governor General's Award after high school grad

What else (besides the obvious hospital volunteering) do you recommend I do to improve my chances?

Guest kylerh

You won't know unless you try. Write the Mcat and see how that goes. Your GPA is quite good and so are your ecs. Volunteer within things that you enjoy.

hope this helps.

kylerh

Guest gloria

Nope, you won't know until you try. If you haven't written the MCAT then apply to these schools and see what happens. If it is a no go this year, then write the MCAT to open up the number of schools you can apply to.

As far as EC's, this is just my opinion, but I like to see diversity. It is great to see that you are being involved in you community. If you are passionate about the clubs and work you have done thus far then that's awesome, you should have some great stuff to talk about in your essays and interviews.

But I echo the sentiment that you should do the things that you are passionate about. I am amazed at how similar some people's profiles can be (ie. fitting the 'med student mold'), and I am also amazed at how interesting other people's profiles are as well.

If you want to improve your application I would say write the MCAT and get yourself involved more and more in the activities that you already enjoy (ie. take on more responsibilities and leadership roles) or think of the things that you have always wanted to do. (ex. say you have always wanted to learn how to sail, but don't think you have the time because you are busy trying the be a prefect pre-med.) What you might find is that doing what you are passionate about teaches you a lot more than pushing paper in a volunteer office could.

Think of EC's as an opportunity to do the things that you have always wanted to do, but didn't think you had the time.

Guest student101

I heard that within the next few years though, most med schools, including western and ottawa are getting rid of the course reqs. Is this true?

Guest blinknoodle

Yes, this is the first year that UWO will not require course pre-requisites. They do, however, still require the MCAT and you must have completed your honours degree prior to matriculation.

I can't comment on Ottawa though. I imagine they will retain their pre-reqs since they don't require the MCAT.

OP, it looks like you have done well for the first 1-2(?) years of your degree. Keep it up and don't dwell on your non-science degree. Just make sure you can explain to the interviewers why you know medicine is for you, especially due to your choice for undergrad. Write the MCAT and look into the pre-reqs you would need for applying to the medical schools that interest you (some need more than simply 1st year biology and chemistry).

Archived