Premed 101 Forums

How does research take place in philosophy?

charlestubbs

I am an undergraduate student in philosophy, and am considering applying to graduate school. I am very good at philosophy, hence why I decided to take it as a major. However, I am at a loss as to how research takes place in philosophy. All the graduate schools say that one must demonstrate "potential for philosophical research" as part of the application process. I am well aware of the research methods used by scientists, but how would one research, and subsequently produce a dissertation in philosophy? Please don't answer unless you are a graduate student or a professional academic.

I'm a grad student, but not in philosophy. I don't know if there are any philosophy grad students around here (but I think we have a few who have done humanities grad degrees, though), but one place to go get ideas is to look at past dissertations and theses from your department. Usually departments have a library or room where they have a shelf full of theses and dissertations from all their past grad students, and you can borrow them and read them. Or you might be able to find them in your university library. And I just did a search and found a website that has some you can read online:

https://webspace.utexas.edu/deverj/personal/test/dissertations.html

Hope that helps a bit!

I am not a grad student, or "professional academic" but my boyfriend's sister is a philosophy student. I'll share what I've gathered from knowing her. She is doing a joint msters/PhD in philosophy.

Basically, research in philosophy is as follows: you choose a genre of philosophy to focus on and you read a large body of work in that genre. Then you write about the works and your own original thought. For example, she studies 20th century french philosophy in the US. By stating that you must demonstrate potential for research in philosophy, this means that your application must show you having writing ability and enthusiasm for philosophy.

A dissertation involves knowing many works (in the hundreds). Those works can range from papers to lengthy books. Also reading previous dissertations is not really going to help you unless you know that field.

I am not a grad student, or "professional academic" but my boyfriend's sister is a philosophy student. I'll share what I've gathered from knowing her. She is doing a joint msters/PhD in philosophy.

Basically, research in philosophy is as follows: you choose a genre of philosophy to focus on and you read a large body of work in that genre. Then you write about the works and your own original thought. For example, she studies 20th century french philosophy in the US. By stating that you must demonstrate potential for research in philosophy, this means that your application must show you having writing ability and enthusiasm for philosophy.

A dissertation involves knowing many works (in the hundreds). Those works can range from papers to lengthy books. Also reading previous dissertations is not really going to help you unless you know that field.

holy ****!

Archived