Premed 101 Forums

Can I remain hopefull??? for acceptance at American Med or DO schools?

Hi all,

I am kind of frustrated. The reason for that is evident in my GPA break down as calculated my AAMC.

BCPM AO Total

Status GPA Hours GPA Hours GPA Hours

Freshman 1.78 18.00 --- 1.80 9.00 ----- 1.79 27.00

Sophomore 3.38 16.50 ----- 3.75 12.00 ----- -3.54 28.50

Junior 3.44 16.50------ 4.00 12.00------- 3.67 28.50

Senior 3.80 30.00------ 3.77 51.00 --------3.78 81.00

Cumulative 3.19 81.00------- 3.59 84.00------- 3.39 165.00

As you can see I did very poorly (and I have reason for it) in my first 27 hours credit (1.79) and that has ruined the whole thing. Eventhough I have taken many courses (165 hrs) in my last three years with a gpa of 3.75ishh, apparently it still doesn't suffice . I am really confused why dont take a look at this upward trend????Just because I did poorlyy 6 years ago, do I still need to be punished??? I almost did two udergrad. I am also doing a masters at uoft but its research based and my gpa so far is 4.0. last year, I only applied to RFU and Wayne very late in the cycle (like November) and got rejected. This year I wanna apply to manyyy, but I first need to enhance my MCAT of 29(10/9/10). But, honestlyy I ammm hopelesss.

Hey you might want to talk to Mashmetoo, he is an expert in DO and I heard the DO schools are much more "holistic" in their assessment, meaning you have a better chance of explaining your GPA, and maybe use the master degree to your advantage.

In short, definitely consider DO because your marks are not bad for that.

Rewrite your MCAT? if you have monster MCAT (say 37+) it may compensate a lot.

Hey man. I feel for you, who would have known that screwing up in first year uni could have such a dramatic effect on your future options?

I can only speak for medical schools as I have not researched D.O. To be Frankly you have no chance in Canada. As for the U.S. you may have a shot if you are a visible minority or better yet one that is underrespresented in medicine (they take this into account there).

Assuming you are white then your shots of getting in are considerably lower. I can't see any of the medical schools accepting you. You would need an MCAT score in the 90% percentile to have a shot. Wayne State is probably one of the most Canadian friendly schools and literally the easiest school to get into in the U.S. (I got accepted there). The mean GPA for americans is around 3.6 I believe and 3.7 for Canadians (I would have to verify this).

You should look into D.O. if not maybe do a 5th year and upgrade - improve your MCAT and apply to western.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I am kind of frustrated. The reason for that is evident in my GPA break down as calculated my AAMC.

BCPM AO Total

Status GPA Hours GPA Hours GPA Hours

Freshman 1.78 18.00 --- 1.80 9.00 ----- 1.79 27.00

Sophomore 3.38 16.50 ----- 3.75 12.00 ----- -3.54 28.50

Junior 3.44 16.50------ 4.00 12.00------- 3.67 28.50

Senior 3.80 30.00------ 3.77 51.00 --------3.78 81.00

Cumulative 3.19 81.00------- 3.59 84.00------- 3.39 165.00

As you can see I did very poorly (and I have reason for it) in my first 27 hours credit (1.79) and that has ruined the whole thing. Eventhough I have taken many courses (165 hrs) in my last three years with a gpa of 3.75ishh, apparently it still doesn't suffice . I am really confused why dont take a look at this upward trend????Just because I did poorlyy 6 years ago, do I still need to be punished??? I almost did two udergrad. I am also doing a masters at uoft but its research based and my gpa so far is 4.0. last year, I only applied to RFU and Wayne very late in the cycle (like November) and got rejected. This year I wanna apply to manyyy, but I first need to enhance my MCAT of 29(10/9/10). But, honestlyy I ammm hopelesss.

You should get your MCAT marks up. You are good for both DO and MD. You can perhaps try moving to a different province. Nice work buddy just get that MCAT mark up, you will be gold. AND FRIEND YOU ARE NOT HOPELESS YOU HAVE PUT IN LOTS OF EFFORT IT WILL BEAR FRUIT.

Edit: I don't quite understand the way you arranged your GPA. If your AMCAS GPA is 3.39 you are definitely okay for DO. For US MD/DO schools they will consider your upward trend. Put all your energy into excelling MCAT. I don't necessarily agree with the race aspect introduced by the poster above. That should be least of your concerns.

i dont know wat people are smokin

but if u have 3.75 u have shot at several canadian meds, mostly the 2 year ones

ive had friend get accepted to MD in the us wih 3.5s and 30 mcats...so u dont need a 7.8 gpa to get accepted!

bring u mcat to a +30 so u pass their initial screen...then the rest is based on ur application work...

u have a shot at DO

Archived