Premed 101 Forums

Late in the game.

Hello all,

I am an MS2 at a Canadian med school. Through my optional observerships, I've ruled out pretty much everything that I want to do in life except ophthalmology. True, I've come to this realization quite late. There are gunners at my school in MS1 who are already leading various ophtho clubs/groups and what not and maxing out those publications in ophtho research. I am late in the game as an MS2 at the end of MS2 year. But I am willing to push my self. So here are a list of my questions, answers to which I could not find through the search function in these forums. I hope knowledgeable upper years will give me some perspective, especially those who are also gunning for ophtho.

1- Do I stand any chance to get matched to ophtho if I start now, without wasting any years between getting residency and finishing med school and getting all that loan interest build up?

2- What is the sure way to highlight my interest in ophtho? Do research and get publications OR to max out ophtho electives in 4th year?

3- How can I get my face "known" at optho clinic at my school to every single ophthalmologist that works there? Set up electives with them? What else? I am not sure how to step in there, as I dont know how I'll introduce myself as I do not know any of them yet.

4- Should I start preparing for USMLEs so that I max out my chances to get into ophtho by adding in the US spots since I am late in game for a competitive race for getting ophtho residency in Canada?

5- Do you think that in future optometrists will reasonably infringe into the territory of ophthalmologists to some extent leading to territory loss for ophthalmologists? If so then that is very troubling to know.

I will appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Some general advice...I would start with the attitude of "I'd like to be a doctor when I grow up, but I would much prefer to practice in opthalmology" - saying that ophtho is the ONLY thing in medicine that interests you is probably untrue. I'm pretty sure 2 years ago when you entered medicine, you didn't care solely about the eyes, otherwise you could have gone to optometry school.

Take a look at general things you like about ophtho and consider if any other specialties share similarities.

There is always a chance you can still match, but it's up to you to maximize your chances. To highlight your interest in ophtho, I would consider approaching an important member in the program at your school and asking if they had a research project / case report (easiest way to publish quickly) that they needed writing up. Or email the residents to see if they need help with their mandatory projects. Oh and also, being the club leader of the ophtho interest club has less bearing than you think - is your MSPR going to be well rounded in other areas? Are you nice and interesting to talk to?

You'll always need to diversify, but many ophtho electives will solidify your interest. Prepare to have a backup, unless you would prefer to go unmatched and do a research year and reapply. And I don't mean just throw a hail mary at family medicine because your preceptor from your rotation said they'd write you a letter. Also prepare to do elective across the country - at least one western school, one in Ontario and possibly one in the Maritimes to show that you'll move. Plan your reference letters very, very carefully.

How to get some face time - doing a case report, going to Grand Rounds, shadowing in the last bit of the school year, inquire about any Research Days or mini conferences for ophtho in your area. Don't be creepy obsessive and clingy.

USLMEs - I can't imagine the US is any less competitive than Canada, and does that mean you have to do an elective in the states? Also, you have to commit to one match or the other, you don't get to participate in both at the end of the day. Although It hink what you're saying is you would see how many interviews you'd get from either country?

Just a disclaimer, I'm not gunning for ophtho but I think my advice can be applied to any competitive specialty.

Normally the NRMP (Main American match) occurs after CaRMS (except for the SARS year). Applicants are withdrawn from the NRMP match if they match in CaRMS.

The US ophthalmology matching process is more complicated. In the US, ophtho is a PGY-2 position which you match to through a separate match (the San Francisco match) in January of Med 4. However, you still need a PGY-1 position which you match to through NRMP (usually after the CaRMS match, as above).

I'm not sure whether you can still try to match through CaRMS if you're matched to an American position in the San Francisco match.

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys for your valuable responses.

It took me some days to develop the courage to ask this question.

I have officially finished my second year. I have my marks and grades lying in front of me from the last 2 years. I have not done amazingly well. I have passed all exams and tests. But I have hovered around average.

Maybe its just the depressing feeling at the moment that is stopping me from thinking rationally. I am just feeling that the average marks and grades (not getting the highest marks in class) somehow sort of reflect my chances of getting ophthalmology residency, which means, based on my aptitude as deduced from my marks/grades, that I have very little chances of being able to gun down ophthalmology.

I feel extremely bad for not being in top 30% of my class after these two years. There are many smarter people than me. And maybe they deserve to get ophtho residency more ...

I guess I am just looking for some advice on how to feel about my "average" performance in these 2 years academically and if it reflect my aptitude, abilities and knowledge base to not get ophthalmology residency?

Thank you.

P.S. I know that pre-clerkship grades dont matter for CaRMS but I am just being self-critical here, maybe a bit too much, evaluating my worth to get ophtho just based on marks from 2 years.

Thank you guys for your valuable responses.

It took me some days to develop the courage to ask this question.

I have officially finished my second year. I have my marks and grades lying in front of me from the last 2 years. I have not done amazingly well. I have passed all exams and tests. But I have hovered around average.

Maybe its just the depressing feeling at the moment that is stopping me from thinking rationally. I am just feeling that the average marks and grades (not getting the highest marks in class) somehow sort of reflect my chances of getting ophthalmology residency, which means, based on my aptitude as deduced from my marks/grades, that I have very little chances of being able to gun down ophthalmology.

I feel extremely bad for not being in top 30% of my class after these two years. There are many smarter people than me. And maybe they deserve to get ophtho residency more ...

I guess I am just looking for some advice on how to feel about my "average" performance in these 2 years academically and if it reflect my aptitude, abilities and knowledge base to not get ophthalmology residency?

Thank you.

P.S. I know that pre-clerkship grades dont matter for CaRMS but I am just being self-critical here, maybe a bit too much, evaluating my worth to get ophtho just based on marks from 2 years.

To be honest with you, getting into a competitive specialty has little to do with how smart you are or your marks, especially the first 2 years. It's first and foremost dependent on where you graduate from (CMG vs IMG), and on your connections (which you form by studying or doing electives/research at a good program, or by being born in a family of physicians, or as mentioned above :-C~<====8), board scores (according to what some people told me on here, they are not reflective of your true aptitude at all), your personality (natural charisma helps at interviews) and luck.

There are people that were at the top of their class and failed to get derm, while some are average and had no trouble getting in without even stressing over it one bit. Life is not fair.

My advice to you is to try and not be neurotic and enjoy your life (something that I'm starting to learn myself). It's just NOT worth it. So what if you didn't get into optho? What are you trying to prove by "gunning it down"? Life doesn't end there. Some of us don't even have that option open for us, so you should consider yourself lucky to have that career as an option.

Board (ie LMCC) score isn't a factor in matching. You don't write it till after match day.

Work ethic (a surprising amount of people suck at this), not being a douchebag, smarts (not necessarily book smarts) and some connections are the biggest factors.

Board (ie LMCC) score isn't a factor in matching. You don't write it till after match day.

Work ethic (a surprising amount of people suck at this), not being a douchebag, smarts (not necessarily book smarts) and some connections are the biggest factors.

He's referring to the American board exams (USMLE Step 1)

Archived