Premed 101 Forums

please help me answer my Noob questions..

Hi there, I'm currently a high school student and am very interested in going into the field of dentistry.

I would like to know..when you apply to dent school..do they care about what kind of EC you did before? your volunteers, community services, work experiences and all that stuff..? Do they only care about your grade, DAT and interview?

Also, for interview, are the questions all related to dent? has nothing to do with our personal life such as why do u want to go into dent? or what type of volunteer work did you do that are related to dentistry? there's no these stuff right? They'll only ask you dentistry knowledge based questions correct?

Thank you so much for helping out!

Hi there, I'm currently a high school student and am very interested in going into the field of dentistry.

I would like to know..when you apply to dent school..do they care about what kind of EC you did before? your volunteers, community services, work experiences and all that stuff..? Do they only care about your grade, DAT and interview?

Also, for interview, are the questions all related to dent? has nothing to do with our personal life such as why do u want to go into dent? or what type of volunteer work did you do that are related to dentistry? there's no these stuff right? They'll only ask you dentistry knowledge based questions correct?

Thank you so much for helping out!

Hey

Generally you apply to dental school in the last year of your science degree. There are some cases where you can apply before this, but that's the general rule.

ECs may factor in at some schools, so they can't hurt, but they're not that important. Grades are the most important factor for acceptance. Generally the interview is the second largest factor, followed by the DAT. The exact percentages vary by school though.

The interview questions are broken into two categories; situational questions where you're presented with a scenario and asked how to respond, and questions that ask you to give a personal example of a time when something happened and what you did.

So, they're not really dental knowledge questions. They're testing other abilities, such as professionalism, empathy, prioritizing, reasoning, etc. The scenario could be dental related, but answering the question requires no dental experience.

Here's an example question: Your Boss leaves for vacation and leaves you in charge of the store you work for. He's leaving for a business meeting and wants you to be responsible while he is gone, and does not want to be disturbed. However, while he is gone a serious business related complication arises. What do you do in this situation?

Hope that helps.

One more question, so it would be the best for me to take the required courses for different dental school when I'm completing my science degree right? This way I have more chance right? or should I only try to target only 2-3 dental school and focus on these materials only? I hope I made clear of myself..

One more question..should I take full course load throughout my years in the science program? If I don't..will it decrease my chance of getting in? I mean..if A has a higher GPA than B, but A didn't have full course load and B did...So..B will have more chance?

Thanks again

You should probably try to take prerequisites for many different schools since they don't differ between schools too much anyways. Unless you're really intent on attending a few specific universities.

If you try a full courseload, and then think you can do much better without one, then you dont necessarily need to do a full courseload (although some schools like UWO will penalize you). But I think most schools require at least 1 or more years with a full courseload.

One more question, so it would be the best for me to take the required courses for different dental school when I'm completing my science degree right? This way I have more chance right? or should I only try to target only 2-3 dental school and focus on these materials only? I hope I made clear of myself..

One more question..should I take full course load throughout my years in the science program? If I don't..will it decrease my chance of getting in? I mean..if A has a higher GPA than B, but A didn't have full course load and B did...So..B will have more chance?

Thanks again

Yes, generally you'll take the required courses while completing your degree. Generally the pre-requisites are the same for schools across Canada though, so if you can apply to one, you might be able to apply to many. Other than Ontario schools though, Dental schools take preference over in province students.

You should take a full course load. As far as I know, some schools penalized you if you do not. Better safe than sorry. Also, you finish your degree faster!

For the interview, there are a number of ways to answer that question.

A 5/5 answer for that question is going to be thorough and cover everything. I would start with your feelings towards this situation, such as how you evaluate your relationship with your boss and how you view being in positions of responsibility. From there I would talk about how I would respond based on what the situation is, and how I would do everything in my capacity to mitigate the problem without the bosses help. However, also realize your limitations and that you may need to contact your boss anyway. From there, follow up with your boss upon return, giving full details on the situation and thank them for the opportunity.

Thanks for the reponses guys. I've always been curious to know..how much harder are the university courses compare to high school course? I know this is a silly question to ask.

I'm amazed by everyone's high GPA and am wondering..how many hours do you guys study to achieve such an outstanding grade?

Sorry if this question is to private..just want to get a heads up for myself for next year.

=D

Archived