Premed 101 Forums

taking physics.

Most Canadian schools do not require physics as a prereq. Also most US schools do not require it either, so you don't necessarily need it.

But some basic physics knowledge is useful for MCAT.

Also I think some basic physics knowledge will enhance your experience in science.

it depends on the course - I don't know how things are over there at York. But generally people who have not taken grade 12 physics or done well in it at my uni, it's been a bad ending.

I would recommend it over the summer so that it doesn't hurt your wGPA.

Yeah I didn't take grade 12 physics, only 11.

They may not even let you take it then. I remember I wanted to take physics for life sciences last year, so I emailed the prof (only have gr 11 also) and he told me he will kick out anyone without the pre-req. total ***hole.

What about taking the intro to physics class? My friend took it last year and said it helped a lot for the MCAT. I'm taking it this summer :)

Ask the 1410 prof. Tell him that you've taken 1505 too. Physics will also help you for biomechanics.

They may not even let you take it then. I remember I wanted to take physics for life sciences last year, so I emailed the prof (only have gr 11 also) and he told me he will kick out anyone without the pre-req. total ***hole.

What about taking the intro to physics class? My friend took it last year and said it helped a lot for the MCAT. I'm taking it this summer :)

they cant kick people out, my sister took a whole bunch of classes with pre-reqs without having any lol youd just have a whole lot of catching up to do.. which is a problem with me so yeah i guess ill have to try the intro to physics.

see im about to start biomech (summer school). Is this really tied to physics or is it general stuff one could pick up after reviewing?

Its very basic physics. Mechanics is a branch of physics... so you're going to be applying kinematics and kinetics to muscles and joints... thats all the course is. They will review the math (SOH CAH TOH etc) and the basic physics (distance between distance and displacement etc). I wouldn't worry too much about it because there are people who have literally no background in physics (even grade 11 physics) and math in that class.

Just my opinion.. but if you are worried about physics 1 ruining your gpa.. then god help you in organic chem 1 and 2.

Generally if you took up to grade 11 physics in high school you should be fine in physics 1 as it give you a good introduction to physics. If you don't want to take physics you don't have to as most schools in Canada don't require it, but it helps for the mcat (or so I have heared). I had no choice but to take it and i got an A in physics 1 and an A in physics 2 so they are not that bad.

good luck

Its very basic physics. Mechanics is a branch of physics... so you're going to be applying kinematics and kinetics to muscles and joints... thats all the course is. They will review the math (SOH CAH TOH etc) and the basic physics (distance between distance and displacement etc). I wouldn't worry too much about it because there are people who have literally no background in physics (even grade 11 physics) and math in that class.

hahaha i see its been a long time since you did any trig

is this a good idea to do? Does it really make a different in the weighting aspect? I know it's recommended but eh.. I'm a little unsure.

I feel like it might lower my GPA and if I could avoid it maybe I should.

A little insight please? Thanks :)

I would recommend taking it. Speaking from experience (I've taken quite a few physics courses in my day), if you put in the time and effort, you will get the mark you desire.

Taking physics allows you to see a completely different spectrum of science, and it is quite the workout for your brain! I'm finding that by taking physics (and seriously trying to master/grasp the concepts), it has changed the way I think/view certain problems (in a good way, lol).

But yeah, if you strongly feel that it will damage your GPA, don't take it!

Just my opinion.. but if you are worried about physics 1 ruining your gpa.. then god help you in organic chem 1 and 2.

Generally if you took up to grade 11 physics in high school you should be fine in physics 1 as it give you a good introduction to physics. If you don't want to take physics you don't have to as most schools in Canada don't require it' date=' but it helps for the mcat (or so I have heared). I had no choice but to take it and i got an A in physics 1 and an A in physics 2 so they are not that bad.

good luck[/quote']

lol if I manage to overcome organic chem, I guess I'll give physics a try.. I still dont even know my true abilities being a first year newbie and all.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Hey everyone, i'm going to be choosing my courses for my first year of undergrad soon, and i have a choice between physics and psychology. I'm in the same situation as curi0user... I know that i will do better in physics than psych but I did actually take grade 12 physics... do you guys think grade 12 physics is enough to prepare for MCAT or should i also take first year physics?

lol if I manage to overcome organic chem, I guess I'll give physics a try.. I still dont even know my true abilities being a first year newbie and all.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

when you take ochem, PM me if you need any help ;) I'm an ochem TA and I love helping students in ochem. It's the one thing I kicked ass at in uni lol.

are you taking it in the summer? or in the fall?

Hey everyone, i'm going to be choosing my courses for my first year of undergrad soon, and i have a choice between physics and psychology. I'm in the same situation as curi0user... I know that i will do better in physics than psych but I did actually take grade 12 physics... do you guys think grade 12 physics is enough to prepare for MCAT or should i also take first year physics?

How'd you do in your grade 12 physics? I would suggesting taking first year physics before the MCAT. It's not that bad and it really solidifies your knowledge of physics for the MCAT.

How'd you do in your grade 12 physics? I would suggesting taking first year physics before the MCAT. It's not that bad and it really solidifies your knowledge of physics for the MCAT.

I'm halfway through the course right now and my mark is low 90s so i'm decent at physics even though i don't really like it. I do like psych on the other hand, is it a good idea to take psych during first year with a full course load and take physics just for the knowledge in the summer or in second year?

Archived