Premed 101 Forums

What do you study and is it related to human biology?

Nathan_89

Hey everyone,

I am currently completing my fourth year at the U of A and I have realized that my interests within biology have shifted tremendously throughout my degree. Currently and earlier, I was studying mostly evolutionary bio, like vertebrate diversity, anatomy, and paleo, behavioral ecology, human evolution, and some plant-animal interaction ecology.

Now, I'm really bored of this area. I am taking one more semester and I am going to build on some cell bio, biochem, and organic chem courses that I have taken and take the advanced courses.

Has anybody else noticed that their interests in biology have changed? If so, do you know why that is? It seems to me that I have become more interested in cellular processes and the structures and functions of drugs.

Finally, for fun, do you think that any area within biology is inherently better than another that may not have many practical applications such as much of paleo?

Biomedical Science. soo... well, just like it sounds. Anatomy and physiology, pharm, etc. I'm also a psych minor. If I would have to say my fave "area of study" it would be psychopharmaceuticals. wooooo brain drugs! Hated the "tiny science" like molecular and cell bio type stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted in physio 10 years ago, then halfway through the first semester I decided that 1) this wasn't what I wanted, and 2) I couldn't keep training my 30+ hours a week (I've been swimming competitively for 23 years, made 3 world university champs teams) and stay in physio. I ended up changing to comp engineering and after comp science which was fun and more flexible. Got a masters in comp science working in the graphics lab, started a PhD but quit after 2 years. Not quite biology!

I majored in bio, in our "biomedical" stream, really there was a mix of animal/human stuff with some ecology and other less interesting courses thrown in there. I got pretty bored of it by third year. Oh also minored in chem. Then in fourth year I decided to finish a psychology minor. It made me appreciate how wonderful biology really was (I really hated psych).

Double major in Biology and Psychology, with of course the prereq's. I love both subjects and feel they give me a good foundation should I get into medicine. I also took Human Physiology last year to help my application. If I am unsuccessful, I would be more than happy doing graduate studies in (probably) psych.

Archived