Premed 101 Forums

Question about Eligibility Criteria

I was confused by "A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course"

1. What do they mean by within another academic year?

In my second year, I had only taken 4.5 courses during the year and no courses during the summer. I am assuming they will not count this year towards my gpa calculation, right?

2. Can someone also help me calculate the WGPA?

For eg: 1st year = 3.8

2nd year does not count

3rd year = 3.9

Will the WGPA be (1st year gpa + (2 x 3rd year gpa))/3 or (1st year gpa + (3 x 3rd year gpa))/4?

Thanks!

1. Within another academic year is if you overloaded another year with extra courses to make up for the missing ones in 2nd year. If you took 4.5 courses (and not 4.5 credits) without making them up someother time, then the 2nd year would not count.

2. (1st year gpa + (2 x 3rd year gpa))/3

1. Within another academic year is if you overloaded another year with extra courses to make up for the missing ones in 2nd year. If you took 4.5 courses (and not 4.5 credits) without making them up someother time, then the 2nd year would not count.

2. (1st year gpa + (2 x 3rd year gpa))/3

Thanks thatonekid!

Its nice to know that since I was debating whether to take a 3 credit or a 6 credit course during the summer (I took 28 credits during the FW session). But I don't want my 2nd year to count, so I'll be taking a 3 credit course.

• 2 weeks later...
I was confused by "A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course"

1. What do they mean by within another academic year?

In my second year, I had only taken 4.5 courses during the year and no courses during the summer. I am assuming they will not count this year towards my gpa calculation, right?

2. Can someone also help me calculate the WGPA?

For eg: 1st year = 3.8

2nd year does not count

3rd year = 3.9

Will the WGPA be (1st year gpa + (2 x 3rd year gpa))/3 or (1st year gpa + (3 x 3rd year gpa))/4?

Thanks!

I have the same situation with my 3rd year of study I took 9/10 courses this year so considering uottawa im short a class for a full year am i still eligble for uottawa if i have full course loads in my 2nd and 4th years or do they count my first year also, in stead of talking a summer course to fill the 3rd year??

AWW the stress for premeds!!

I just called them and I'm really confused. They said if we're doing 4 years of undergrad, we don't have a choice. All the first 3 years will count if we had taken atleast 4 courses per semester. :confused:

Bah that is confusing! I thought I had my GPA figured out and now I am not so sure.

I have one year where I took 4.5 courses and nothing extra in the summer. The next year I took 4 course and took 2 half in the summer (so I counted this one and multiplied it by 1). Then this year, I took 5 full courses (so I counted it and multiplied it by 2). My calculated wGPA is 3.9ish, but if I have to count that first year, I won't make the GPA cut. Boo. I guess I'll call them.

An aside, as an Alberta resident, I am so unimpressed with my A's being 3.9. :(

Bah that is confusing! I thought I had my GPA figured out and now I am not so sure.

I have one year where I took 4.5 courses and nothing extra in the summer. The next year I took 4 course and took 2 half in the summer (so I counted this one and multiplied it by 1). Then this year, I took 5 full courses (so I counted it and multiplied it by 2). My calculated wGPA is 3.9ish, but if I have to count that first year, I won't make the GPA cut. Boo. I guess I'll call them.

An aside, as an Alberta resident, I am so unimpressed with my A's being 3.9. :(

But it kinda makes sense because we will be taking the 0.5 credit in 4th year and Ottawa says that the year will count if missing course/credit is completed as an additional course within another academic year.

I won't meet the cutoff either if they take my second year into account :(

Archived