Premed 101 Forums

Housing in Montreal

CREA.tive

I did my undergrad at McGill and lived in the ghetto for my 2nd year. After a month being there, I could not wait to move out and get away. The building was owned by a company that ended up screwing us out of around $500 deposits. Our lease started on June 1, but when I called to pick up the keys the day before, I was told they were renovating our place during the summer and we could move in in August. Uhhh?? So basically I was expected to pay 2 months for nothing? I don't think so!!!

Personally since then I've lived in Ahuntsic near the Sauve/Cremazie stations, and now in Longueuil. I'm now at UdeM, but either school is between 35 and 50 minutes in the subway which I really don't mind. My current place is the farthest I've lived, but it's also cheaper and a *lot* nicer with great landlords that live on the first floor of my triplex.

BTW for new students, just know that the med building (along with PT/OT) is all the way at the top of the hill, and during winter you'd better wear spikes :P Oh and that of course the anatomy building (unless it's changed) is all the way across campus lol.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

sorry to hitchhack the thread once more! I am a med student from Germany and I just got an elective placement at Jewish General Hospital, starting august 22nd. Do you have any ideas how to find a good place to stay in Montreal when you are only staying for two months? On campus residencies are not allowed to international students like me.

thanks!

Federal Real Estate offers a wide range of accommodation and with over 1000 rental units and buildings located along 19 Montreal. Student accommodation next to the main schools and universities, the family-oriented building located in quiet areas with views of parks and waterfronts - you're sure to find the perfect apartment for your needs with Montreal Federal Property.

Hi,

sorry to hitchhack the thread once more! I am a med student from Germany and I just got an elective placement at Jewish General Hospital, starting august 22nd. Do you have any ideas how to find a good place to stay in Montreal when you are only staying for two months? On campus residencies are not allowed to international students like me.

thanks!

I've found my last 2 apartments through montreal.kijiji.ca. There must be some places available only for a couple of months although I am not sure how many there really are.

What do people think about buying an apartment to live in after first year and selling it when I finish undergrad (although there's the possibility I'll get into McGill med)? I'm going to be staying in Montreal for all 3 summers most likely.

Is this at all economical?

What do people think about buying an apartment to live in after first year and selling it when I finish undergrad (although there's the possibility I'll get into McGill med)? I'm going to be staying in Montreal for all 3 summers most likely.

Is this at all economical?

It would be economical based on historic trends but the following factors should be concidered:

Can you get a mortage as a undergrad student?

Can you afford the down payment?

Will your parents be willing to finance you?

Quebec's political stability and economic/infrastructure problems may influence housing prices. Pay close attention to the PQ.

Insurance, property taxes, welcome tax, utilities, renovation, agent comission and the additional time it'll take being a property owner.

It would be economical based on historic trends but the following factors should be concidered:

Can you get a mortage as a undergrad student?

Can you afford the down payment?

Will your parents be willing to finance you?

Quebec's political stability and economic/infrastructure problems may influence housing prices. Pay close attention to the PQ.

Insurance, property taxes, welcome tax, utilities, renovation, agent comission and the additional time it'll take being a property owner.

Quebec's political stability?:eek:Oh lawd jezus! Economic/infrastructure problems are legitimate, though marginal concerns, but if you even bothered paying attention to Quebec's political climate since 1995, you wouldn't even consider some sort of instability even if the PQ came to power.

Hahahahhaha. You made laugh so hard.

Quebec's Political Stability. Be serious.

Either you did not watch the news since 1970 or you really believe that the FLQ is planning a come-back and 2Pac is waiting for them to act before he releases his album Strictly 4 My S.E.P.A.R.A.T.I.S.T.S. featuring Lévesque.

Archived