Premed 101 Forums

Late MCAT a big problem?

Hi guys,

I had a question regarding the timing of my MCAT. I just finished my third year and am planning to write an Mcat in the summer. I'm away for a month so won't have too much time to study but still enough. I've learned just about all of it in undergrad anyways, and my exams in undergrad were quite a bit more thorough.

My big concern is with the timing of it. I would have to write it in August. Will that put me at a disatvantage? I have good grades from a difficult undergrad and decent extracurriculars and reference letters but I'm afraid this will delay and weaken my application.

Should I try and write the MCAT asap at the risk of lowering my score, or will the impact of a later MCAT be minimal on my application process? I would get my marks in late septermber. I'm not worrying about doing poorly on it and having to re-write as long as I have a month or so to study.

So if I want to submit everything else June 1. then is it all a waste given that I don't have MCAT scores to send along with it? I have everything else sorted out and ready to go except this, that's why I'm wondering how much of a problem it is that I have to write it so late. Maybe I could re-schedule it for late JUly instead...

So if I want to submit everything else June 1. then is it all a waste given that I don't have MCAT scores to send along with it? I have everything else sorted out and ready to go except this, that's why I'm wondering how much of a problem it is that I have to write it so late. Maybe I could re-schedule it for late JUly instead...

From my understanding, most schools will not review your file until you have your mcat scores (and everything else of course).

i was in a similar situation to you last year except my MCAT was scheduled much later, in september (i was doing research full-time too so i needed the extra time). personally, i decided to forego US admissions that year because i would have been too late in the cycle, and instead focus on the MCAT. ultimately, it's up to you but i've heard that some US schools don't look upon reapplicants too well unless there has been significant change and that was also a factor in my decision.

July 6th sounds better. I'm in a similar situation- I already wrote the MCAT but I'm going in for a re-write in late July... so when would I be "complete"?

I'm really hopeful that the 2nd MCAT will bump up my chances of an interview/acceptance etc, but will they just judge based on my previous MCAT since the 2nd score won't be out until late August? : /

Hi there,

I am in a similar dilemma as well and would love some opinion on the issue.

I registered for MCAT for mid June in hope that I can submit my application as early as possible to U.S. It will be my third time writing *sigh. However, I recently got an interview invitation for medicine in Hong Kong, which takes place in a week before my June MCAT (in Hong Kong!) and was wondering what u guys recommend doing. This means that I will be distracted for a good week or so just for interview preparation and flying there just to do the interview.

So my question is, should I postpone my MCAT until early July?

I'm going to write July 6th. From what I understand, I can still have my primary complete without my MCAT score and get secondaries and still submit the secondaries. I won't have be complete at schools though until my MCAT score is released so I won't be complete until early August but I'll take that risk for a better MCAT score.

What about you guys?

Archived