Premed 101 Forums

OOP woes!

MrsSnrub

Hi all,

I'm in the preliminary stages of preparing to apply this coming session. McGill has always been a pipe dream, and I was really grieved to hear of the 3.9 cutoff imposed upon OOP applicants this past session.

First, does anyone know if summer school courses are taken into account when calculating a GPA for McGill?

Second, obviously I don't expect anyone to answer this with any certainty, but how likely is it that the cutoff will remain for this cycle? Should I even bother applying with a 3.88? And yes, this was taking into account the 3.9-->4.0 conversion.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I'm in the preliminary stages of preparing to apply this coming session. McGill has always been a pipe dream, and I was really grieved to hear of the 3.9 cutoff imposed upon OOP applicants this past session.

First, does anyone know if summer school courses are taken into account when calculating a GPA for McGill?

Second, obviously I don't expect anyone to answer this with any certainty, but how likely is it that the cutoff will remain for this cycle? Should I even bother applying with a 3.88? And yes, this was taking into account the 3.9-->4.0 conversion.

Thanks!

Hey N,

Not sure if this is true, but I heard if your grades aren't as high, you could submit a high MCAT score to help supplement....

I'm not sure if the 3.9-->4.0 conversion works for Mac students... the only place I know it works at so far is Calgary and American Schools.

I'm pretty sure summer schools are NOT considered in the GPA, as I recall reading that before but don't quote me.

J

I'm pretty sure summer school marks count! They say they look at your degree cumulative grade point average, so I would guess that if the summer courses are a part of your degree then it counts.

And I think the 3.9 cutoff could change for oop. This is what they say on the website:

"We do not use strict GPA threshold criteria, but rather base the ranking on comparison of your record with that of the peers in your cohort. Following this, we proceed to a review of the supporting documents for the top-ranked candidates. We look at approximately four to six times the number of candidates we intend to interview. (As a hypothetical example, if we intend to interview 50 people in a particular cohort, we would score the Personal Narrative and CV submissions for the top 200-300 files, in order to generate an "invite-to-interview-list" from among this group.)"

Hope that helps. And by the way what annoucement does mcgill release in the next couple of weeks?

Thanks for that info! Last week I was on the website looking for OOP info regarding the cut-off and all I could find was something to the effect of, "We'll be releasing information soon" but now it's gone so perhaps it's just what you posted.

Hmm I had heard that, but I didn't know if that still applied if you didn't even meet the cut-off. I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks until McGill makes their big announcement!

Also...how do you know my name???

Was in a couple of your classes!

I think it all depends on how many OOP apply, like they said on their site. Like last year, if there is a lot, they may have to resort to cut-offs since they can't look at everyone holistically!:(

Archived