Premed 101 Forums

Confused but want to get into med school

Hey Guys

I am confused about the idea of going to a foreign med school. I have read it time and again here that it is hard for the foreign med school graduates to obtain a residency back here in Canada.

Firstly, I am Psychology graduate from UBC. I did bad in my first two years, so have no hope getting into the program. I have overall GPA of 76 ( 4years) and 82 ( third and fourth year). I don't have bio chem, so am missing some of the pre-reqs.

So I want to attend a foreign med school. So far I am looking into the Caribbean ones, since Ireland ones are way tooo expensive.

I don't know if this is good idea.

I have checked this forum and from that it doesn't seem a good idea. But I know a couple of people actually who are attending Caribbean and say that it just let them pursue their dream.

I can't seem to decide to what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey

So I did check that forum and checked the websites of some of the schools in States. I felt that aren't the requirements almost similar to the Canadian ones? Stellar cumulative GPA and an impossible MCAT score??

Can you make some suggestions onto which particular schools should I look into?

I am really confused. The Caribbean schools just gave me some hope of getting into medicine but the more I look onto Canadian or US schools, they more I feel that I should just drop the idea that I could ever get into the Medicine. ;..(

Hey

So I did check that forum and checked the websites of some of the schools in States. I felt that aren't the requirements almost similar to the Canadian ones? Stellar cumulative GPA and an impossible MCAT score??

Can you make some suggestions onto which particular schools should I look into?

I am really confused. The Caribbean schools just gave me some hope of getting into medicine but the more I look onto Canadian or US schools, they more I feel that I should just drop the idea that I could ever get into the Medicine. ;..(

Have you checked out DO schools in the US? BC does recognize DO and allows them to match in the 1st round.

• 6 months later...

I'm sorry to say, but you may want to start another undergrad degree (grad school at this point is out of the question) and work on it really, really hard for a good 3 years before applying. Many admission committees only look at the last 3 years of academic work. Make sure you volunteer in your community. And get as much positive (to admission committees) life experience, which could be verified by other people, keep fit (good health should be a passion of yours) and be sure you maintain an active social life. Just as important, get excellent references. Show them you are able to achieve, are passionate about healthcare and that you care about your community and people, regardless of their social status. Those cannot be "just an act". You really have to care. If you don't, chose another profession. Also, read up on job-interviewing skills - these can help, especially if you are modest as you may need to learn how to brag in front of the committee without seeming too arrogant or narcissistic. Make sure you become proficient at managing stress. I cannot emphasise on this enough. You can learn stress-relieving techniques, but it may take years to become good at it. It could become one of your best assets in school.

I too screwed up on early academic work, but got saved by my later years.

Best of luck to you.

Love!

D.O.: Osteopath

In the U.S., are given the same consideration as MD. They can prescribe medication and perform surgery. They learn and use physical manipulations but are not to be confused with chiropractors.

US trained D.O.s are considered on par with M.D.s in Canada, as the training in the U.S. is genuine medical training. They can even do their residency alongside M.D.'s.

D.O. training outside the U.S. is not considered equivalent. Non U.S trained osteopaths don't prescribe medications or perform surgeries.

In the U.S., they often practice as G.P.s in smaller communities.

Many D.O. schools in the states have less stringent academic admission requirements than M.D. schools..

Archived