Premed 101 Forums

Why I left these forums

Mithril

Some of you may remember me as being a prolific poster on these forums during this year's application cycle. I left these forums after I found out I was waitlisted by McGill for an interview, which is essentially a rejection. McGill was my top choice school and I was absolutely devastated when they rejected me on February 4th. This rejection was preceded by rejections from all Ontario schools I applied to (UOtt, Queen's, UoT), so it was a pretty heavy blow to my confidence and my mental state. It made me realise that I had been spending too much time on these forums and becoming absolutely paranoid and obsessed with getting a spot in a medical school. I decided that the best thing to do was to get away from this site for an undetermined period of time and recollect my composed demeanour. I wanted to go back to my original state of mind before July 2010 where I knew absolutely nothing about the MCAT or the admission process and was oblivious to anything related to it because it was before writing my MCAT that I was truly relaxed and calm about this entire ordeal.

Premed101 is a very valuable resource for people aspiring to become physicians, but I saw that the more I spent time on this site, the more I was forgetting about things that also mattered, such as my 4th year schoolwork, my friends, and taking care of my sister. My brother had warned me about becoming obsessed and I witnessed that obsession with people in my practice interview group over the months. I didn't want to become that person who talked only about med school applications and worrying about the potential outcome. I felt as if I was free once I got everything related to med out of my life; instead, I just enjoyed the last months of my undergrad without thinking about it till this week. I had already made back-up plans if I didn't get in, such as jokingly wanting to play WoW for a year or moving to Alberta for a year or even doing something similar to kylamonkey's PPB. I made some really good friends on this site and added them to FB, but I did delete those friends who were already in med school. It was nothing personal; it was just that I didn't want to be reminded of anything to do with med school. Whenever someone asked me about it, I deflected it and tried to change the subject right away. So for that, I apologise to those people whom I've met this year.

I just wanted to say that if you're freaking out and becoming overly anxious, take a step back, relax, and re-evaluate. Worrying about something that is completely out of your control is just going to make you age faster and won't change the outcome of your interviews. Cheers.

Great post!

I did not come in here to read posts even once between when I sent my med school application in January, and a couple of days ago. I knew I didn't want to be hearing about the MEM for weeks and weeks, and I just kept on going with my classes and exams without thinking about them either. I chatted with a friend that got in last year about the interviews the week before, and that was it. Didn't think about it until they were over with, just stayed true to myself!

Now that I only have 1 class, no training since still rehabbing my shoulders, and the responses coming shortly, it's not really stressful anymore.

If people get anxious and their brains get racked with the pressures of getting into med school. Wait until their in med school and medical practiioners, I wonder how they will handle that pressure.

I think for many people it's different, at least it is for me:

For example.. I've been swimming for 23 years and made 3 national teams in the last few years. I've always found the trials (= admission) were a lot more stressful than the actual competition, say world university championships (= program and so on) even if normally you'd think it would be more stressful to race against the best in the world vs the best in the country. I really truly enjoy the process to reach a goal more than the goal itself. Anyways your goals have to change as you reach them or else it'd be boring! My med school admission isn't a goal.. it's just the first step in the process. :)

I really truly enjoy the process to reach a goal more than the goal itself. Anyways your goals have to change as you reach them or else it'd be boring! My med school admission isn't a goal.. it's just the first step in the process. :)

Your approach and philosophy to life is (in my view) sound, rational and prepares you for all contingencies. We will always have goals, changing goals, at every stage of our lives. And if we don't enjoy the process, for sure, we won't be abler to enjoy the attainment and application of the goal.

And circumstances changes, ergo, we need to adapt our goals accordingly.

psycoswim, enjoy the process, regardless of the outcome tonight!

Many of us understand the pressures you have faced, and I am happy you were able to gather your thoughts after taking a break from here. I think any one of us can, if not careful, let thoughts of applications and possible rejection become an unhealthy obsession. We are constantly being evaluated, told we need to improve, and it can be so hard sometimes.

Thanks so much for sharing :)

I wish you all the best in the future.

C

Thanks for sharing and good advice. I am pretty sure that once my apps are in this cycle, I am going to need to take a break from these forums until interview invitations, and then until the middle of May.

Congrats on UBC. :)

great post!

i've only joined this forum like a week ago, and am already finding myself addicted and checking the forum several times a day... :o but i totally understand the pitfalls of obsession that you alluded to in your post. thanks so much for reminding me!

Some of you may remember me as being a prolific poster on these forums during this year's application cycle. I left these forums after I found out I was waitlisted by McGill for an interview, which is essentially a rejection. McGill was my top choice school and I was absolutely devastated when they rejected me on February 4th. This rejected was preceded by rejections from all Ontario schools I applied to (UOtt, Queen's, UoT), so it was a pretty heavy blow to my confidence and my mental state. It made me realise that I had been spending too much time on these forums and becoming absolutely paranoid and obsessed with getting a spot in a medical school. I decided that the best thing to do was to get away from this site for an undetermined period of time and recollect my composed demeanour.

Premed101 is a very valuable resource for people aspiring to become physicians, but I saw that the more I spent time on this site, the more I was forgetting about things that also mattered, such as my 4th year schoolwork, my friends, and taking care of my sister. My brother had warned me about becoming obsessed and I witnessed that obsession with people in my practice interview group over the months. I didn't want to become that person who talked only about med school applications and worrying about the potential outcome. I felt as if I was free once I got everything related to med out of my life; instead, I just enjoyed the last months of my undergrad without thinking about it till this week. I had already made back-up plans if I didn't get in, such as jokingly wanting to play WoW for a year or moving to Alberta for a year or even doing something similar to kylamonkey's PPB. I made some really good friends on this site and added them to FB, but I did delete those friends who were already in med school. It was nothing personal; it was just that I didn't want to be reminded of anything to do with med school. Whenever someone asked me about it, I deflected it and tried to change the subject right away. So for that, I apologise to those people whom I've met this year.

I just wanted to say that if you're freaking out and becoming overly anxious, take a step back, relax, and re-evaluate. Worrying about something that is completely out of your control is just going to make you age faster and won't change the outcome of your interviews. Cheers.

Im in my first year and freaking out too much. My sister also suggested staying away from this site. The fact that its bookmarked on my tabs says enough. Maybe I should.

Archived